šŸ£šŸ„Black Copper Marans and Whiting True Blues. Lots of videosšŸŽ„

We are up to 13 now. The fibro olive egger needed some assistance getting out. Itā€™s a black chick also, but pink skin. Lots of black chicks. 4 marans have hatched. That leaves 11 leftā€¦ 9 marans egg, a spearmint egg and a large pink egg.
Iā€™m taking notes on the egg appearance, the inside color of the eggs, color of chick, beak, comb, legs and any distinguishing markings. Iā€™ll attempt to leg band them as they go into the brooder. I donā€™t need to mark the marans chicks, but I do want to know what mixed colored egg each chick came from.

We are up to 13 now. The fibro olive egger needed some assistance getting out. Itā€™s a black chick also, but pink skin. Lots of black chicks. 4 marans have hatched. That leaves 11 leftā€¦ 9 marans egg, a spearmint egg and a large pink egg.
Iā€™m taking notes on the egg appearance, the inside color of the eggs, color of chick, beak, comb, legs and any distinguishing markings. Iā€™ll attempt to leg band them as they go into the brooder. I donā€™t need to mark the marans chicks, but I do want to know what mixed colored egg each chick came from.
Hopefully your Marans are just late hatching. And good call taking notes, I'm trying to take more notes also, but man...it's hard. Life is just too busy...

Hopefully your Marans are just late hatching. And good call taking notes, I'm trying to take more notes also, but man...it's hard. Life is just too busy...
I only had 1 marans hatch overnight. That makes 5 marans and 8 to go.
Thereā€™s 1 spearmint egg left from the mixed color group left and it hasnā€™t pipped. I tried to candle it last night and it was inconclusive if there was movement inside, it was too hard to tell.

Actually I miscounted, there was 3 marans hatched overnight, so a total of 7 total marans chicks and 6 more to hatch.
A lot of black chicks, only 3 out of 17 are not black.

Awesome hatch so far...
I don't recall if you said what incubator you got? I like the view tho.
I'm partial to black myself, that's pretty much every shirt I wear cuz every other color just turns black anyways...šŸ¤£
But anyways I love seeing the Marans flock out, all black flock roaming the yard. One reason why I've been wanting Fibros or a Svart Hona flock but my wants is more than my space available..lol

Awesome hatch so far...
I don't recall if you said what incubator you got? I like the view tho.
I'm partial to black myself, that's pretty much every shirt I wear cuz every other color just turns black anyways...šŸ¤£
But anyways I love seeing the Marans flock out, all black flock roaming the yard. One reason why I've been wanting Fibros or a Svart Hona flock but my wants is more than my space available..lol
IMG_3718.jpeg

Itā€™s a hovabator 1602N with a fan and egg turner. I got it for $30 on Craigslist.

Attachments

• IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 1
I moved 19 chicks to the brooder and gave them some grit and chick starter. They jumped right in and started eating. This is one reason I donā€™t order from hatcheries. I like them going straight from the incubator to a nice comfy brooder with water, feed and grit.
There 4 dark marans eggs left. And 1 spearmint egg that hasnā€™t pipped yet, Iā€™m pulling for this one to hatch.
IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3722.jpeg

I moved 19 chicks to the brooder and gave them some grit and chick starter. They jumped right in and started eating. This is one reason I donā€™t order from hatcheries. I like them going straight from the incubator to a nice comfy brooder with water, feed and grit.
There 4 dark marans eggs left. And 1 spearmint egg that hasnā€™t pipped yet, Iā€™m pulling for this one to hatch.
View attachment 3816810View attachment 3816811
A whole lot of cute...ā™„ļø

I had 5 eggs that didnā€™t hatch. I did an eggtopsy on them. 3 were fully developed but never internally pipped through to the air space and the membrane had tightened around them. 2 looked like they quit developing towards the end. So the final number is 19 healthy chicks out of 25 eggs set. So about 75% hatch rate. Iā€™ll be more aware next hatch and not wait to open up an egg that is late.

Back
Top Bottom