1 yr. old hen - lethargic, runny green poop, xrays show pieces of something

LeslieBerckes

Hatching
Apr 30, 2024
Hello! On Sunday, my one year old hen seemed off. Slow, let me catch her easily, and had runny poop on her butt. At first I was worried it was egg yolk. She had laid they day before on Saturday. On Sunday, I did two epsom soaks. On Monday, I took her to the vet where we did (very expensive!) xrays. The vet didn't seem sure what was going on. She is now on an anti-inflammatory pain med and antibiotic (both from the vet). I have tried giving some crushed up Tums. I have gotten electrolyte and probiotic supplement. She will eat a little - mainly grapes and some of her feed pellets soaked in water. I am soaking the grapes and feed in the electrolyte water. She is quarantined in our house in a dog kennel.

My biggest concern is that her vent keeps pulsing like she's trying to poop. Poor girl is pushing so hard! Her poop is very small, green, white, and runny. There have been a couple bigger runny poops. Today, one of the poops had one small speck of red - I assume blood. I have inserted a lubed finger to see if there is an egg or shell, but I don't feel anything.

I have frantically searched this form and found some good advice, but curious if anyone has any ideas to help!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
I think she is an Americana. 4.54 pounds. 1 year.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Sleepy/lethargic. Eats very little. Barely drinks. Runny to very small runny poops. Has not laid an egg since Saturday.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
First noticed on Sunday evening, so about 2 to 3 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I don't think so. I'll keep checking.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Grapes (peeled), watered food pellet mash, electrolyte supplement (just started that on Tuesday), a little bit of Tums.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Small green pieces. Water white.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Antibiotic and anti-inflammatory have been given three times now. Electrolye/probitoic supplement in water (just started). Tums, but very little. She doesn't like it sprinkled on her food.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Already went to the vet. I am open to whatever is best.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Currently dog kennel with a towel and a roost. Typically, they have a coop with straw and pine bedding. They also get yard time.
Etta2.png
Ettapoo1.jpg
Ettapoo2.jpg
Ettapoo3.jpg
Etta1.png
Etta3.png

Her poop in the picture looks to have bright yellow urates which could be from a reproductive infection or ascites/water belly/liver disease. I am not trained in chicken X-rays, but it looks like she could have salpingitis (lash egg material) or egg yolk peritonitis and possibly water belly as well. What did your vet think about the X-rays?

Has she been laying eggs with normal shells recently? I would give her calcium once a day, and offer some scrambled egg with the moistened chickens feed. Fluids are important. I would not soak her since it can be too stressful in an already weak hen.

Thanks for the response, @Eggcessive! You know, I felt really good leaving the vet yesterday, but today I feel like I didn't get many answers. At least we knew it wasn't an impacted egg. He wasn't sure what those pieces were in her crop and belly(? not sure what part of the chicken that is?. He did mention the extra fluids in her and that it was pushing up on her lungs. He said the lungs should be taking up more room in that image. She is not breathing differently. His best guess was egg yolk peritonitis, thus the antibiotic and pain med. He also hypothesized a tumor could be causing her issues.

She laid an egg on Saturday, which was normal. All other eggs have been normal.

I think the poop pictures are reading a little more yellow than in real life, but I'll take a closer look.

I feel so bad that she is straining to poop. She both seems to feel bad, but also fairly alert. Her eyes are bright, her comb looks normal. Just this thing with her vent pulsing and straining to poop. She sleeps a lot.

I really wish I knew if she was in too much pain to keep or if we need to make a quality of life decision. Really appreciate the advice and perspective.

Could she have swallowed something that is showing up up in her crop? Can you feel anything in there? I would try giving her the calcium once, to see if it helps her pass an egg or perhaps a lash egg. Does she have any labored breathing or does her belly feel tight down under her vent? If there is water belly, sometimes draining some of the yellow fluid off with an 18 gauge syringe can make them feel less pressure. The lungs are located in the upper back, and I can’t see them on the X-ray. Hopefully the antibiotic and anti inflammation drug will help her feel better. If she seems to be suffering, I would consider putting her down. When I have lost a hen with this type of problem, I usually do a home necropsy, and you may rather have your state vet to do a more thorough one.

The vet said he felt something gritty in her crop. I'm a newbie chicken mom, so sorry to say I didn't know what a crop was until recently. I'm feeling over my head and sad I'm letting my girl down. Tonight her crop seemed really big, but she hasn't eaten much. I'll try feeling it tomorrow. The first night I thought she was egg bound, it seemed like under her vent was kind of hard. I'll check again. I'm not sure what "good" or "bad" would feel like, unfortunately.

I realize my reply said "if she was in too much pain to keep", which sounds really harsh! I must have been typing in a panic.

For a brief time tonight, I thought her breathing seemed heavy, but then it evened out. Her eating and drinking have really cut back. I didn't know I should try and do water through syringe until reading some of the other posts. Maybe she's just really dehydrated?

Thank you again for your insights.

Thanks, @Eggcessive. She would drink when I held water up to her on the first day, but now won't do that. I'm able to dribble a little water in her beak. It is good to see that video and link you sent. The vet definitely did not mention that when they showed how to put in the medicine. I find it very challenging to get her to open her beak - I think I've seen you mention pulling on her wattle. I definitely don't have the hang of it.

She's still with us today. Her crop is bulging and full. I think it feels more hard than squishy. It does not smell. I saw a link about giving her oil and massaging it. I assume I should not try and get her to eat while the crop is full?

I'm going to call around this morning and see if I can find another vet who can give a second opinion on that x-ray.

Well, she's more alert today, I think her crop has gone down, and she was voluntarily pecking at seed - I know that's not a good food source overall, but I was just taking her lead on what she'd eat. Should I be withholding food, or taking her cues when she's hungry?

She had a bigger, more formed poop. Still pretty green though. I have been pushing more water with the electrolyte - it's the Flock Fixer one from Strong Animals so it has vitamins and a probiotic. She's not choosing to drink on her own, so it is via syringe.

I've seen a lot of these forum posts where they say the chicken is good and then she takes a turn for the worse, so I'm trying to manage expectations right now.

This forum has been so helpful! Thank goodness for you all!

With a crop problem, I would get her drinking fluids mostly. Then if it has gone down a bit, try to get her to eat soft egg, mushy wet chicken feed, and plain yogurt. But don’t give whole grains or seeds which are harder to digest while the crop is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom