11 weeks old and living the good life

TimelessGG

Chirping
Mar 1, 2024
The personalities are developing more each week. Betty my Buff is very front and center, me, me, me. The one Barred with the smaller comb seems to be at the top of the pecking order since she’ll steal treats from the others. Matilda our Easter Egger is so sweet and has pretty feathers. I have noticed she is kind of aloof and likes to be off on her own. She likes to sit in the grass, rocks and sun herself or just sit and eat grass and bugs. Does anyone else have a chicken that is a loner/free spirit? Matilda did chest bump with Betty today. That was funny.

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    897.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    833.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1744.jpeg
    IMG_1744.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
My goodness are they ever gorgeous! ❤️

I have a "Matilda" black silkie hen that free ranges alone. She just goes off by herself most of the time. She's high in the pecking order so not sure why she does that but it's fine.

Chickens have individual characters just like humans. Some like to be with others all the time. Some like to make their own plan.
I even have a chicken that likes to sleep alone in a seperate coop. But now this small coop is taken by a broody with a chick and she roosts with the other hens for the time being.

My goodness are they ever gorgeous! ❤️

I have a "Matilda" black silkie hen that free ranges alone. She just goes off by herself most of the time. She's high in the pecking order so not sure why she does that but it's fine.
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I love silkies. I bet she is fun to watch. Matilda seems to enjoy herself, so I’m glad it can just be a personality thing. ☺️

The personalities are developing more each week. Betty my Buff is very front and center, me, me, me. The one Barred with the smaller comb seems to be at the top of the pecking order since she’ll steal treats from the others. Matilda our Easter Egger is so sweet and has pretty feathers. I have noticed she is kind of aloof and likes to be off on her own. She likes to sit in the grass, rocks and sun herself or just sit and eat grass and bugs. Does anyone else have a chicken that is a loner/free spirit? Matilda did chest bump with Betty today. That was funny.
My one easter egger is aloof, shy, and a little afraid of my flock, so I give her treats on a perch my DH built in coop ( she's claimed as hers). She flies from our
branch perches to "her" perch to eat, won't even touch the ground! And watch out for those wings when she's flying across!!! &_$# I used that perch for balance one day to dump out my shoe ; whacked me with those wings. !

Chickens have individual characters just like humans. Some like to be with others all the time. Some like to make their own plan.
I even have a chicken that likes to sleep alone in a seperate coop. But now this small coop is taken by a broody with a chick and she roosts with the other hens for the time being.
That’s great you are so accommodating to your chickens that one even gets to sleep alone. Our younger chickens are still sleeping separately from our older ladies.

My one easter egger is aloof, shy, and a little afraid of my flock, so I give her treats on a perch my DH built in coop ( she's claimed as hers). She flies from our
branch perches to "her" perch to eat, won't even touch the ground! And watch out for those wings when she's flying across!!! &_$# I used that perch for balance one day to dump out my shoe ; whacked me with those wings. !
Oh my goodness! That’s the sweetest thing she has her own perch and you feed her from it. That’s interesting my Easter Egger is like that too. We try to give ours treats separately too.

I have come close to being whacked! Too funny and not funny when it finally happens! 😂

Lovely flock.
I had Maggie (sadly no longer with us). She was generally fine with the flock - she was #2 and got to be the enforcer.
But sometimes they were all too much for her and she wanted to go for a walk on her own. I was allowed to go with her as long as I kept a respectful distance.
She would lead me all over the place on her solitary stroll and then when she was done would come back and demand to be let back in.
I miss Maggie - she was a real character!

They look so happy! Great photos too. I can never get good photos! I have names for all my gals but I cannot tell them apart yet! I love their personalities as they get older (ours are the same
age) ❤️🐓

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3450.jpeg
    IMG_3450.jpeg
    789.9 KB · Views: 7
They look so happy! Great photos too. I can never get good photos! I have names for all my gals but I cannot tell them apart yet! I love their personalities as they get older (ours are the same
age) ❤️🐓
Oh my goodness they look great! I think you have really nice photos. I too am really enjoying seeing their personalities develop. It’s fun since like you said we can see our each others girls are doing at the same age. I love seeing your precious pig with them!

Back
Top Bottom