6-7 Week Old Buff Orpingtons

PrudentPrepper

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2015
Ozarks
Typical story. Bought 10 "pullets" and I am thinking one is not a girl. The nine look exactly alike and the one looks quite a bit different.

Side by Side

The one.....

The other nine....

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, you have a cockerel.

I honestly hope he is a boy, I need breeding stock anyways. I have 5 RIR cockerels and 5 Black Jersey Giant cockerels that are 4-5 weeks old and I can start to see the difference there as well. I am almost positive he is a boy, but just wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:
So, considering they look so different, I guess my real question is, COULD this difference be attributable to an overly developed hen? I know it is unlikely and I know that this guy is probably a roo, BUT what is the real percentage? Is it possible at this point he is a she that is more developed than the other nine? Or is it a home run that this is a roo?

I would say it is a "home run". If you need convincing just observe his behavior. Is he the first to run towards you when you put your hand in? Is he the most outgoing in general? Does he challenge the other chicks all the time, especially when you let them outside? All signs.

So, considering they look so different, I guess my real question is, COULD this difference be attributable to an overly developed hen? I know it is unlikely and I know that this guy is probably a roo, BUT what is the real percentage? Is it possible at this point he is a she that is more developed than the other nine? Or is it a home run that this is a roo?
The likelihood at that development that it is a fast maturing hen is pretty low. Granted, I did have one hen who did that, but the overall possibility is very low.

My answer to your questions is "there's no chance that the bird in question is an overly developed hen." That bird is 100% cockerel. Also the ratio you have is significant as well. Most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexed chicks, and in the hatcheries I've ordered from I typically get 1 cockerel for every 10-13 pullets with sexed orders, so your ratio of 1 cockerel out of 10 pullets ordered is right on target as well.

Absolutely no chance that it's a girl. Pullets won't start to turn red in the comb until they are almost ready to lay eggs. For most breeds, that is usually around 14 to 18 weeks old. A pullet will not have a red comb before 10 weeks old. It's just not possible.

Back
Top Bottom