9 week old brahmas. Genders?

Ashley & Donna Dame

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2017
The lighter one is turning lavander. Pretty sure she's a hen. The dark brahma seems to be a roo which is great. We wanted a roo to add to the flock. Looking for some input from experienced brahma owners.

Attachments

• 20230626_102255.jpg
    20230626_102255.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230626_102300.jpg
    20230626_102300.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230626_102300.jpg
    20230626_102300.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230626_102255.jpg
    20230626_102255.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230626_102300.jpg
    20230626_102300.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 33
The dark one is most likely a rooster.
His posture and the tail feathers tell it all.
The lighter ones tail is kind of the same. She has more downy feathers near her tail. Also, the dark one has white spotting on the chest. That kind of made us think it's male too. Plus his eyes are more rooster looking. Thank you for responding.

The black one looks male because of the comb pinking up. Can we see a photo of the white one head on to get a better look at the comb?

What are you guys seeing in the eyes and tail feathers that says male? I have never heard of using eyes to sex, and only heard of using tail feathers at 12+ weeks.

No that it really matters, but just FYI, the black one actually looks more like a black cochin. Can you tell if it has a pea comb or a single comb? Dark Brahma roosters have a different feather pattern with white, blue, and black. You can actually sex them when their mature feathers come in since the patterns between male and female are so different.

The lighter one is turning lavander. Pretty sure she's a hen. The dark brahma seems to be a roo which is great. We wanted a roo to add to the flock. Looking for some input from experienced brahma owners.
The lighter one still has a lot of light yellow, but in her neck, tail and legs it's turning lavander.
The black isn't cochin. We got the eggs from a guy who only has brahmas and hatched them. He has some whit spotting developing on his chest. His back and tail are getting the greenish color to it as well.
As for the eyes, we have had a lot of roosters. Most of which we have hatched. Our silkies you can't tell by the eyes. But in some of the breeds we've noticed that the eyes are much more piercing. The females are softer.

Attachments

• 20230626_125406.jpg
    20230626_125406.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230626_125348.jpg
    20230626_125348.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 26
We have had and still have a couple cochins. This guy looks nothing like the ones we've had. Also, both tails look the same. That's why we're still trying to figure it out. We have a couple other brahma hens and their tails are the same.

As for the eyes, we have had a lot of roosters. Most of which we have hatched. Our silkies you can't tell by the eyes. But in some of the breeds we've noticed that the eyes are much more piercing. The females are softer.
Wow, that is interesting. I guess it makes sense, they have a very different program than hens do. I wonder if you could make a method out of that observation and how accurate you could get it to be.
We have had and still have a couple cochins. This guy looks nothing like the ones we've had. Also, both tails look the same. That's why we're still trying to figure it out. We have a couple other brahma hens and their tails are the same.
Yeah, I wasn't saying it was a cochin, but that isn't typical feathering for the dark brahma breed. Or light brahma for that matter. That person may just be doing their own breeding program, and just not breeding for standard feathering. That may mean other breeds are mixed in further back, I'm not sure how they got such different characteristics. I'm sure they will be great birds, still.
The lighter one still has a lot of light yellow, but in her neck, tail and legs it's turning lavander.
That one does look like a pullet right now. I would start to wonder if that comb gets any pinker.

The tails will start to look different as they get older. In a couple of weeks, you won't have a doubt about their sex.
:)

The black isn't cochin. We got the eggs from a guy who only has brahmas and hatched them. He has some whit spotting developing on his chest. His back and tail are getting the greenish color to it as well.
The thing about the eyes makes a lot of sense. The roosters I've had also had different eyes. They look much more alert and "piercing", as you said.

Back
Top Bottom