A Duck that won't molt?

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
20171004_122042.jpg
I have a duck who did not molt last year and everyone is currently molting and she doesn't seem to be again. She is a 2.5yo Cayuga and her sisters are molting fine. Is this a thing? Is there something I should/can do?

Attachments

• 20171004_122057.jpg
    20171004_122057.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
No, these are literally her feathers from 2015 after her duckling molt. Her feathers have looked like this (ratty and broken) all through last winter.

I have noticed this with my Runners other than my drake lost his drake feather about 3 months ago and never grew it back I couldn't even tell they were molting other than egg laying came to a halt.

My Muscovys leave feathers all over the place my geese too. My chickens some of them are down right naked.

I've watched her really carefully after noticing she didn't lose her feathers last year, when everyone else was getting fluffy and fresh again. Her wing feathers are the the worst...tattered stubs. I will try to get a closer pic of her back later.

I don't think it's a breeding issue. We have 12 girls and 2 drakes, and she is one that will actually rebuff the drakes advances and refuse to breed. She's saucy. She also doesn't seem to take a laying break...she is the only one who has continue to lay this fall.

How old was she last fall? She might not have been quite old enough. Do you add any supplemental lighting to the area?

She was 1.5 last fall. We have a light in the coop and live in the south so have longer warm days.

Back
Top Bottom