Anybody else "chicked Out!" for the season?

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
I have had about 5 different brooders off and on since the end of January! I have 3 going in the garage now. I am so ready for them to go out to the coops! They're alot of work! (but worth it!)
lau.gif

Last edited:
When I had them in the house because it was still too cold to keep them in the garage, I got really sick. I've been having respiratory trouble ever since! I learned the hard way, no more chicks until it warm enough to keep them in the garage!

Mine won't be here until June. They'll be on the screened porch for a couple of weeks and then out to the coop they go!

this is funny, who else thinks like this. I keep mine in the house for a week to two and when I put them outside in their own brooder I feel like I am sending them off to college or something and I keep all the windows open so I can hear if anything raises a ruckus in the hen house at night. Thier Brooder is up about 4 feet off the ground and very large,in the hen house. and I check on them in the morning, after work and before it gets dark and I go in for the night....ughhh...and actually have found myself going out at 10 or 11 at night with a flash light walking to the hen house to look in on them...they have 2 heat lamps on them, so I can just look through the chicken run and see them fine.

I'm just getting started
smile.png
I was chicked out in January after 3 batches in a row. They all went out to the coop in cages by 3 weeks old! Now I am starting all over again
roll.png

I am BEYOND CHICKED-OUT!!!! I too feel bad about having to move the babies out...but I think this is enough for the first year! My husband however, is on a roll....not overly happy about that...he says "the chickens keep him busy" but I say they mostly keep me busy and him entertained! Checking the bank account last night I found a suspicious charge to MPC...hmmmmm......I doubt it is for 'equipment', and all he will say is "Wait until next week"and the chickens aren't telling me what he ordered! I know it's more chicks, but hold out hope that it is just some feed, or a shirt - anything but more work!

I'm on a self-imposed chick moratorium. No more chicks this season. I have 17 7-wk old pullets and four 2wk old pullets. That is in addition to my 9 hens, 1 roo, and 4 bantams.

I am lucky, I have a shop attached to the house (used to be my dog grooming shop, which I closed three years ago and is now a whatever room) and I raise my chicks in a horse trough in there. That way the dust is confined to the shop and not my house. The smell wafts in through the foyer, but at least it's not IN my house. My chicks go outside at 5 weeks old.

If you want to talk about chicked out, I have 70 4-6 week-olds on my sun-porch that are getting booted out to their coop TOMORROW. They would have been out a week ago but I got sick and didn't finish the coop in time, oh well, D-day tomorrow.
wee.gif
Love the buggers but if I track anymore litter (that they have so carefully strewn 3 feet out of the brooder) into the house I am going to scream.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom