Anyone have a good way to rid pets of fleas?

kingpartyof5

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Central Indiana
We have had a serious flea infestation for the last month or so. I have used everything on my dog and cat- frontline, advantage, flea bath, diotomateous earth, flea bombs, house sprays, etc. I still have the darn things! My poor dog is bringing them in from her adventures out and about the farm. Can we spray the lawn with flea spray or will that harm the free ranging chickens?

Any other ideas are welcome, as I am ready to scream.

No, but if you find a way...PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT....I feel so bad for my dogs and cats..Never before have I had this problem....I give my boxer a bath every other night and dry her off real good, sprinkle baby powder on her and she is happy as a clam...the next day she is scratching like a mad dog..I look and there they are again.

You have asked this question at the perfect time. I just received a flyer from our vet with a coupon for a new pill that you give your dogs once a month. Since we have tried EVERY medication and method on the market and have had very little luck we decided to give it a shot. When we got to the office there was a line at the desk of peope cashing in their coupons and singing the prasies of this new product and for once...the hype exceded the results. We have never seen anything like it. Once you give your dog the tablet just watch..the fleas start falling off dead within 30 mins. It is amazing!!!! My 3 dogs have never known peace like this in their lives!!!! The sleep like babies now. I think they are catching up on years of scratching and chewing their fur off.

My dogs swim in our pool daily so that is another plus. You dont have to worry about the other flea meds washing off.

The name of the drug is Comfortis I believe...just ask your Vet for the new pill that controls fleas. Be prepared to kiss your vet! I think its the best gift you can give your dog. (not sure if it works for cats)

Good luck to you and if you decide to try it..pleaes let me know what you think!

White distilled vinegar...worked like a charm for us on our dog's and cat's. We put it in their drinking water, and not a flea around. As for your house I bought this stuff at the vet office called "knock out" it worked really well too. We put a table spoon of vinegar to a gallon of water. I hope this helps if you try it.

We switched ours to Comfortis last year because Frontline wasn't as effective against fleas in our area as it used to be. It was like it stopped working completely. In fact, there have been a lot of other people to complain about it. The Comfortis is much better. It starts working in like 30 mins after they take it, & keeps protecting them for around 4 weeks. Sometimes, our dogs are able to go as long as 6 or 7 weeks without needing another dose. The best thing is they don't have to be dirty for it to work & they can get wet, unlike with Frontline. The downside is that at some vet clinics it's a little more expensive than Frontline, but definately worth it.

Quote:
We had the same problem with Frontline and Advantix...I have raised dogs most of my life and I have never found a solution like Comfortis. Our dogs have only been on it for about two weeks...I was thrilled to see that you have had sucess up to 6 or 7 weeks. If that works for us, it will be well worth the extra buck or two it cost per dose. I thought the Frontline had stopped working due to the fact that my dogs swim everyday so loved the idea that Comfortis works internally and wont wash off.

So far it has been an absolute miracle here at our house!!!

Bad year for fleas here too. I've been using the carpet and upolstry sprays and powders inside the house and sevin spray around the front and back yard, including the lawn and chicken coop. I have the sevin concentrate and then use my two gallon sprayer. After that, Advantage and some direct spray for the dog, I'm about ready to go attack the yard again with either sevin or maybe one of those flea spray things you hook up to your hose that is specifically for fleas. I have to say, the sevin on the lawn got rid of a bunch of little bugs, I don't know if they were afids or fleas but either way, I couldn't stand it, they were everywhere. Yes, spraying the yard goes a long way. Go all around the house!

I'm beginning to think that vinegar is like a miracle drug, I'll have to try that out. I'm going to look into the Comfortis too. TY.

20 Mule team Borax (laundry additive) works really good sprinkled in the carpets and furniture to kill fleas and eggs. It contains boric acid, which exterminators use in liquid form for all sorts of bugs and it is safe for the pets. I did this every year until I got hard wood floors and never had flea trouble.
it even doubles as a deodorizer. You can also bathe your dogs with it (not near eyes of course) much better than permethrine as in flea shampoos etc.
Don't think I would use it on the lawn where it could be eaten -just to be safe- although I am sure my dogs and cats have licked some off there feet a million times without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom