Automatic coop doors: I'd love your input

I studied them for some time before I got a Ladies First. Install was easy, but I suspect that's true for most. When I tested the closing on an obstruction it worked great. Basically, when the door met resistance it raised, then lowered again. If the chicken,or hand, is still there it repeats the process. On the third try, if the obstruction is still there the door just stops. It's metal, but lightweight. I've seen demos where the door was blocked with an egg. The egg survived.
The first night I used it I had cockerel try to roost in the door. I knew something was wrong because the blinking green light to tell me all was well wasn't blinking. I found Stew roosting in the doorway, the door on his back but not pushing him down. He was fine. No harm, no fowl.
I haven't had it long but it's worked every time. I like the mechanics of it. The door is driven by a motor that turns a screw raising and lowering the door. It's also made in America. That was important to me. Price wise, I found some more expensive and some less (not counting the Chinese knockoffs). I think I made a good buy. Look on YouTube for some good demonstrations.
I was looking at Ladies First. In fact, the maker of the plans for the coup I'm building use Ladies First on their coop / plans. Thanks for your input.

I read this is an issue for many automatic doors. I put my door opening about a foot off the floor. The birds step up on a cinder block to get out of the coop. Of course, there's a ramp going down to the run. I haven't had any problems with stuff in the tracks, but it's only been in for a couple months.
Thanks for the tip..I wish i had thought of that..Mine has been installed for only a couple weeks.I find that it always closes eventually after 2-3 tries. I really don’t want to do the reinstall but i may have to when i return from vacation. My neighbor will be checking on them while i’m gone. 🤞

I would NOT buy the Chick Cozy door. We have one and I don't think it's very user friendly. Ours just suddenly stopped working and I can't get anyone to respond to me about their warranty. Supposed to be 2 years. We have only had it a year and 9 days when it stopped working. It was NOT cheap either. I am changing it out to a USA made one.

Does this door have a safety stop sensor on it?
Looks like their newer "All-in-One" model is the only one that even needs it and it does have an "Auto Stop" feature for safety. I have the older "Pro" model that raises/lowers the door via a string, so it doesn't need any form of stop sensor since the door isn't heavy enough to crush the chicken.

Mine has been going strong for 6-7 years now with no maintenance other than replacing batteries twice/year.

I would NOT buy the Chick Cozy door. We have one and I don't think it's very user friendly. Ours just suddenly stopped working and I can't get anyone to respond to me about their warranty. Supposed to be 2 years. We have only had it a year and 9 days when it stopped working. It was NOT cheap either. I am changing it out to a USA made one.
I have the Omlet door in my coop, since May of 2023. One year and still working fine. It also has a safety door stop.

I DIY’d my setup have been using it ever since - it’s very strong and have never had issues with predators same/similar to yours (located in Colorado) I would recommend skipping to page 12ish though as a bunch of members contributed to making it even better, automated, and easier to use by building on my initial plan by including diagrams, parts lists, auto stop features, etc.

Good luck!

Here's a follow-up to my "chicken door choice." I ended up going with the Ladies First door. Install was super easy. As is true for most doors, you just need to get it level so it closes properly. The closing of the door is just what I'd hoped for; slow closure that reopens (to about 3 inches) three before its fully closed. This worked great when my ladies were first getting used it. I love that this door opens and closes with an internal metal piece that looks almost like a long screw. This means no cords to break. Mine is installed so it's about 2 inches above the floor of the coop which helps keep the bedding from getting in the doorway but if there is something thin the door closes which is great. I just added one little thing to my morning routine which is to wipe any bedding from the door. The solar panel that both recharges the batteries and opens / closes the door is about 4" x 5" so it's not large and well....not so unpleasant to look at.

And the convenience of the additional switch is a huge bonus. I have it mounted to the outside of my run and being able to close or open it from the outside is great.

So far...... I would highly recommend this door.

For the money, I think it's hard to beat what Run Chicken offers. I'd likely get the newer solar version though even though no issues with the battery version after several years use. They only flaw I've seen on them is the manual push button under the lip that a raccoon could technically operate - but I've seen people putting guards on that part lately, perhaps the company might change the switch type to accommodate.

I have predators in my area too, we hardly ever see them - but it doesn't mean they don't see your flock while patiently waiting for an opportunity for a tasty meal. Because of that, my auto door only lets ours into a 2nd larger secure run. We used to free-range daily and now I'd never use an auto door for daily free-ranging; that only happens under supervision now.

Lately our main predator has been a bobcat. We've definitely lost a few chickens to them in the past and even have seen them while we're out in the yard too. Pretty sure it's been a bobcat that's killed two of our outdoor cats in the last 6 months. Just last Saturday morning at 6am the chickens woke me up making a ruckus - I go out to the orchard in my chones and don't see anything near the coop...then I see a flicker of a tail moving on the other side of a tree -- it was stalking our remaining cat, who luckily shot off in the other direction when it pounced, then they both saw me and the bobcat took off. On Sunday I scared a female turkey out of our yard, it flew onto the neighbors property and immediately had a coyote chasing after it. Yesterday morning at 6am I hear the chickens going off again...then 30s later I hear a gunshot - my neighbor shot that coyote about 50yds off the property line. Now it's intimate friends with about 15 vultures

Good luck!
Love thy neighbor. Lol.

Wow! That sounds nuts! I agree with what you say about them being there even though I don’t see them. And its for this very reason that mine don’t free range. The vast majority of the time they’re in a enclosed, covered run. Only when I’m out supervising are they in an additional run without a covering. The door will be placed on the actual coop with the adjacent attached,covered, hardware cloth into the ground, run.
I really appreciate your input!
I had this door on my old coop. While I have tons of raccoons around, they have never gotten to my hens with this button. Not in about 6 years since I installed it. They have gotten my hens in many circumstances, but never this one. I was happy with this coop. Would have been nice to have a second chance for late comers though.

Back
Top Bottom