baby gosling not walking/standing upright

team guava pastry

Songster
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Miami, FL
I posted this on the goose swan ducks section. But I think this is an emergency,

I have a baby chinese gosling about 1 1/2 weeks and everything was going good till I came home from work today.

I notice that she is not as active and she is not standing on her webbed section of her feet more on her heel area.
I have straw on the bottom of the brooder and was thinking that that might be actually hurting her tender feet.

The chicks that are in there don't seem to be bothered by it.

she is eating, drinking, and of course pooping. poop is regular. when we try to pick her up she doesn't run around as usual. could the straw but too rough on her feet? what can be used in place of it?

thanks!

Please and advise
22404_img_1342.jpg

Last edited:
Goslings can get leg injuries very easily. If you support her a little, can she use one leg better than the other? Is any part of her foot tender? Is there a wound or discoloration or crusting?
They also need more niacin that chicks. What are you feeding? Is she getting any grass or other greens?
Good luck with her.

I'm not giving her any greens yet, but I will put her out in the yard today, for a while.

I've been feeding her the same starter feed that I've been feeding the chicks.

Like I said she wil get up and eat drink and of course poop@!

but she will sit down quickly. I checked out her feet and they both looked good no crusting at all.

and other ideas

Quote:
I don't think the issue would be the straw hurting her feet.

I have 6 chinese goslings (3 weeks old yesterday) that have been on straw/hay for about a week now without any issues.
Its probably not the problem but just suggestions... be sure if the gosling is on straw/hay to give her some grit. My goslings/ducklings just love to eat the straw/hay. Since she is still pooping ok thats probably not the issue.

You are feeding the same chick starter to her as the chicks? Two things: what is the percentage of protein, and is it medicated? Goslings need a little higher protein (I fed mine 20% starter instead of the 18% along with the chicks). Certain medicated chick feed can be hard on waterfowl (part of the problem is they eat a lot more than chicks.... making them receive to much medication. )

How fast is she growing? I assme the pic you have is from when you first got her. Mine at 1 1/2 weeks old were about 4 times the size of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom