Behavior differences between crested and non-crested chicks?

AinaWGSD

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
So husband and I are both mildly concerned that our cookies and cream chick may be a cockerel instead of a pullet. At 2 weeks there aren't any distinctly male physical traits, but her behavior is noticeably different. None of the behaviors are distinctly male either though and I'm wondering if the behavior differences are due to her having a domed skull.

She has a slightly more upright habit than the other 5 chicks. And is often stretching her neck up to see us. She seems to prefer hanging out by herself a lot.

So, long story short, has anyone seen a noticeable difference in behavior between crested chicks and non-crested chicks of the same age?
1000007372.jpg
photo tax

I personally haven’t seen much of a difference in crested vs non crested breeds. Each of my chicks (crested and non crested) have had different personalities and likes and dislikes that are unique to them.

I almost always have a mix of crested and non and no, I don't find behavior related to that. I also don't start deciding that I'm seeing Cockerel behavior at 2 weeks, I give myself a break until later as I've always been proven wrong when I start guessing to soon. Case in point my FBCM, I was so convinced that she was he, but she's just a massive girl and I'm thankful that I didn't make a premature call and send her off to Roo land because she's my favorite now.

I haven't noticed any trends between my crested and non-crested birds. Her behavior sounds suspicious, but I would wait until it's painfully obvious she's a pullet or a cockerel before making a decision. She could just be a watchful and independent bird

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely not making any decisions until it becomes obvious. She had me really side eying her the first week, but seems to have settled a bit.

Husband asked me if I warned the 14yo (she's his chicken) about the possibility she might be a he. I told him there was no point making the kid worry until we had more than a vague hunch.

Back
Top Bottom