Bent comb?

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
Hi guys
smile.png
Wasn't sure where to put this because I don't think I'd classify it as an emergency.

My one black sex-link's comb has suddenly gone funny. It's not lost any colour (red as anything!), but I just noticed yesterday that it is now bent to the side. Kind of flopped over almost, though I wouldn't really call it droopy.

Yesterday (when I first noticed) I discovered 2 eggs in the nestbox (only 1 hen--the other sex-link--hac been laying up until then.) She's 20 weeks old now.

Is this perhaps an indicator of some sort of deficiency? Although I'm a bit more experience now, I'm still clueless as ever on some things. Could it be that she laid her first egg yesterday and it just sort of knocked the wind out of her? I know their combs can get droopy from over heating and such.

There's nothing else wrong with her--active as ever, eating and drinking normally, still running around. I haven't managed to catch a stool sample from her, but am keeping my eye out.

I'm still starting to worry, though! Any help would be appreciated. I will try to get a pic of her. Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
I read a thread recently concerning that and it said that it was fine. I have 3 hens (all different breeds) with bent over combs and they lay almost everyday and are a healthy as any of the others.

My three leghorns and two black australops also have bent combs. I wondered, but since they were acting normal and looked normal and behavior eating and stool never changed I just figured it WAS normal!

Phew, thanks guys. I was just out there and she's none to happy with me picking her up and examining her all over
smile.png
It's a tiny bit paler than it was before, but they change colours and blush all the time anyway. It's just a bit crinkled in the front with that weird bend. It just seemed off because her comb doesn't look big enough to start the drooping, but like I said--she seems perfectly fine otherwise. I'll still keep my eye on her :p Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom