Black Jack Rubr coat on coop floor

Lwaymunm

Hatching
Jan 16, 2023
First time trying to post a question in here. I hope I do it right. I have read other posts on here about using black jack Rubr coat on the coop floor. I was wondering if anyone applied this to a plywood coop floor in winter. I need to get our new coop ready before we buy new chicks in spring. The Rubr coat label says to apply in temperatures above 60 degrees but it’s the middle of winter and where I live lowes are hitting about 10F and highs have been 30F to 40F. I am worried about applying the Rubr coat at low temperature and it not curing right. Anyone have any experience? I thought of placing a propane heater in there for a few days to help it cure at correct temperature but leaving a heating device in an empty shed unattended with tar on the floor makes me nervous. There are no birds in there yet. They are currently housed in our smaller coop.

I would not have a heat source in an enclosed shed with wet bituminous product outgassing.

Either wait until the weather remains above the minimum required temperature or choose a different floor covering like sheet vinyl. You could just lay that down temporarily then remove it in spring when everything is warmed up and either put down the rubber coating or just paint the floor with 2 to 3 coats of a high quality porch and floor exterior grade paint. That's the route I took and the paint is holding up just fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom