blue swedish broodiness?

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Alright well my blue Swedish is a year old and she has not laid an egg yet but since yesterday she hasn't gotten off my other ducks eggs. How well are they with broody is this a random thing. My Japanese and silkies take turns sharing eggs lol it is pretty hilarious
smile.png

Hi! Both of my Blue Swedish girls were broody earlier this year. Most of the eggs in both nests were fertile and started developing, but went rotten. I had to pen them up for a few days to make them 'leave the nests' --- even after I threw away all the eggs, they kept going back to set.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

My swedish mix started to lay at about 5 months old and she layed straight for about 3 months until I let her collect enough for a clutch. She sat on 15 eggs and only 1 got bad. She now has one duckling that we let her keep and it is 3 weeks old now and she is the best momma. We gave all of the other ducklings away at a week old.

Two of my girls went broody last August and one of those girls just went broody again two weeks ago. One of the ducklings that hatched last July is sitting now also, she's about two weeks in as well
smile.png
I had another girl attempt to sit but gave up after 4 days. Recently she looked like she was going to be broody then she disappeared; i'm pretty sure the fox got her
sad.png
All in all, out of my five girls I only have one that has not attempted to sit. I
love.gif
my girls

Are you sure she's not laying? Could she be hiding her eggs somewhere? My ladies have made great mommas; I sure do hope you have good luck as well
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom