Breaking Broody

Pics

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
One of my Black Australorps has gone broody, again. She wants to sit at least two times a year. Her mothering skills are phenomenal. She has had 3 clutches so far. The only issue is the cockerels. It is such a hassle to get ride of them. If she would only hatch females :)lau) I would let her sit on and hatch her clutch.

I don't need pullets at the moment; so, I am breaking her. Here is how it is going thus far.

Day one - removed any an all eggs (including the fake ones) from under her the moment they were gathered/deposited. Nope.

Day two - removed any an all eggs (including the fake ones) from under her the moment they were gathered/deposited and sat with her in my lap with frozen peas at her belly. Nope. Stayed in lay box all night.

Day three (today): Got out broody breaker jail and set it up. Ice in the bottom half and only 1/4 inch hardware cloth to stand on (it is twisty-tied to a pen panel so it is sturdy. Food and water in with her, of course. I will keep her in this all day then let her out to range with the others before lock up time and see what she does. If she return to the lay box, then I will repeat today's plan, but for a full 24 hours.

We shall see how this goes. Wish me luck. I know it is only a matter of wills at this point. 💪

Attachments

• PXL_20240415_170105704.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240415_170105704.MP.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 232
  • PXL_20240415_170122709.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240415_170122709.MP.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 28
One of my Black Australorps has gone broody, again. She wants to sit at least two times a year. Her mothering skills are phenomenal. She has had 3 clutches so far. The only issue is the cockerels. It is such a hassle to get ride of them. If she would only hatch females :)lau) I would let her sit on and hatch her clutch.

I don't need pullets at the moment; so, I am breaking her. Here is how it is going thus far.

Day one - removed any an all eggs (including the fake ones) from under her the moment they were gathered/deposited. Nope.

Day two - removed any an all eggs (including the fake ones) from under her the moment they were gathered/deposited and sat with her in my lap with frozen peas at her belly. Nope. Stayed in lay box all night.

Day three (today): Got out broody breaker jail and set it up. Ice in the bottom half and only 1/4 inch hardware cloth to stand on (it is twisty-tied to a pen panel so it is sturdy. Food and water in with her, of course. I will keep her in this all day then let her out to range with the others before lock up time and see what she does. If she return to the lay box, then I will repeat today's plan, but for a full 24 hours.

We shall see how this goes. Wish me luck. I know it is only a matter of wills at this point. 💪
Good luck! I had a broody in broody jail (wire pen) for 6 days before she broke lol oyebI was getting tired haha

And I feel you about the roos. Poor babies but I just can't lol

Eta I also have a post on it lol for photos

I am following along.
I just put my girl in broody jail. She is not happy with me!
Last night I locked her out of the nest and put her on the roost. But as soon as she was able she was right back on the nest so early morning I hauled her off and put her here.
I have never been through this before so am anxious about it.
IMG_6028.jpeg

Have you looked into donating to a local 4H? Our first hatch was 4 out of 6 were roos and it took me forever to get rid of 3, and the last one, at 18weeks old goes to our local 4H auction this Sat lol just a thought.
Yes. I tried that with one of our roos. The director put it out to all 4H members mail list. No one replied. :-(

Thus far I have had to get rid of 6 cockerels. Each one was stressful for me and the ladies. Learned with the second batch that they all must go by 11 weeks or be culled. I have a hard time culling. Luckily, I haven't been in that situation yet. I won't do it again until I need pullets.

I am following along.
Last night I locked her out of the nest and put her on the roost. But as soon as she was able she was right back on the nest so early morning I hauled her off and put her here.
View attachment 3802106
Good luck!

I am following along.
View attachment 3802106
If the breaker cage location is safe for overnight stay, you're better off leaving her in there for at least 48 hours straight, and then depending on behavior, extending it out 24 hrs at a time as you go.

If the breaker cage location is safe for overnight stay, you're better off leaving her in there for at least 48 hours straight, and then depending on behavior, extending it out 24 hrs at a time as you go.
Yes. It is inside the coop close to where everyone else roosts.
Thanks for giving me a sense of when to do a test ‘release’.
Poor girl - I do feel bad for her.

Back
Top Bottom