E flowers

Chirping
Sep 4, 2023
Been trying to figure out how to make a new breed or slightly change the welsummer breed.
What would the offspring of a Brown Leghorn/Welsummer look like as far as coloring on different parts of the body, temperament and, comb type?
What would Partridge Penedesenca/catalana offspring look like?
I would love a Natural brown hen that lays brown eggs, is a hearty bird, and good forager. Also flighty for free ranging?
Does anyone know what breeds specifically I should use to make that?

Been trying to figure out how to make a new breed or slightly change the welsummer breed.
What would the offspring of a Brown Leghorn/Welsummer look like as far as coloring on different parts of the body, temperament and, comb type?
I think Brown Leghorn and Welsummer have pretty much the same coloring, genetically speaking, so I would expect the chicks to have it too.

If the Brown Leghorn and the Welsummer both have single combs, so will all the chicks. I might expect the comb to grow to a size in between the big Leghorn comb and the smaller Welsummer comb, but I'm not positive about that. If the Brown Leghorn has a rose comb, then some or all of the chicks will have rose combs too.

I don't know about temperament.

What would Partridge Penedesenca/catalana offspring look like?
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about those breeds to predict offspring color/pattern.

I'm also unsure how the Penedesenca comb is inherited in crosses.

I would love a Natural brown hen that lays brown eggs, is a hearty bird, and good forager. Also flighty for free ranging?
Does anyone know what breeds specifically I should use to make that?
A mix of Welsummer and Brown Leghorn would probably work pretty well. I would probably do the first cross with a Welsummer rooster and a Brown Leghorn hen, because there is one sex-linked gene that affects egg color. Since you want brown eggs, you want to start with a rooster from the brown egg breed.

After the first cross, I would let the chicks interbreed with each other and maybe with either or both parent types. The next generations will have a variety of body sizes and shapes, and probably temperament variations as well. Decide which ones you like best, and eat the others. Several generations of that will probably give you pretty good chickens for your purposes.

I think Brown Leghorn and Welsummer have pretty much the same coloring, genetically speaking, so I would expect the chicks to have it too.

If the Brown Leghorn and the Welsummer both have single combs, so will all the chicks. I might expect the comb to grow to a size in between the big Leghorn comb and the smaller Welsummer comb, but I'm not positive about that. If the Brown Leghorn has a rose comb, then some or all of the chicks will have rose combs too.

I don't know about temperament.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about those breeds to predict offspring color/pattern.

I'm also unsure how the Penedesenca comb is inherited in crosses.

A mix of Welsummer and Brown Leghorn would probably work pretty well. I would probably do the first cross with a Welsummer rooster and a Brown Leghorn hen, because there is one sex-linked gene that affects egg color. Since you want brown eggs, you want to start with a rooster from the brown egg breed.

After the first cross, I would let the chicks interbreed with each other and maybe with either or both parent types. The next generations will have a variety of body sizes and shapes, and probably temperament variations as well. Decide which ones you like best, and eat the others. Several generations of that will probably give you pretty good chickens for your purposes.
Would you recommend line breeding or clan breeding?

Brown Leghorns are gold duckwing and Welsummers are red duckwing. Since mahogany is dominant, offspring would also be red duckwing.
I put partridge and the Catalana genotype (e^Wh/e^WhCo/Co) in the calculator.
For offspring I got buff columbian so colorwise they would look pretty similar to the Catalana parent.

But beyond that first generation you can get any combination of the parents’ traits, so it’s pointless to speculate.
You can really breed for anything you want.
Would you recommend line breeding or clan breeding?
In order to secure the traits you want, it is good to inbreed first. Once you have what you want you can use other breeding methods to maintain genetic diversity.

Back
Top Bottom