BYM Hatching Derby - Hatch-Along

Here's a preview of what the hatch will look like (except Struggles and Marylin were excluded from this hatch because I just used the 5 best Olive Egger pairings and a few eggs from Rooster were thrown in just for a look see).
I might want to divide the big hatch by rooster, somehow, because nobody is predictable (Well, Sir made some chipmonk chicks with all of his girls) and I lost track of who begot who when they peaked hatch frequency last night. Also yesterday was day 20 and there are only 2 out of 25 left to zip out on the morning of day 21.

Does anybody have any advice as to what I can use inside my incubator to create little dividers to separate eggs into groups when they go into lockdown?
Screenshot_20240208_202312_Gallery.jpg
20240209_084029.jpg

I had bought these hatching bags to put eggs in at lockdown that I wanted separate from the others for DNA purposes. These were shipped eggs that didn't do so well, so I never used them. I was using an NR360 at that time, and it would have been feasible in there, but not sure it'll work in yours.

My other problem with using those is if the egg in one of those hatches first, then that chick could be dry while others are pipping so I can't open the incubator to get it out. They say they are used like this, but seeing how those little ones are when hatching, I almost thought it may be cruel to leave them in there for hours while we're waiting for others to hatch.

They are very stretchy though, so I'd have made them a lot bigger than they look.

I had bought these hatching bags to put eggs in at lockdown that I wanted separate from the others for DNA purposes. These were shipped eggs that didn't do so well, so I never used them. I was using an NR360 at that time, and it would have been feasible in there, but not sure it'll work in yours.

My other problem with using those is if the egg in one of those hatches first, then that chick could be dry while others are pipping so I can't open the incubator to get it out. They say they are used like this, but seeing how those little ones are when hatching, I almost thought it may be cruel to leave them in there for hours while we're waiting for others to hatch.

They are very stretchy though, so I'd have made them a lot bigger than they look.
That's a pretty good idea, but I do see your point. I like to pull them out as they dry, too, and opening the lid from one side to quickly snag a baby and it's shell is one thing. Having to use both hands to get inside a bag is another.

I was tossing around the idea of using thin plastic to-go containers. They should fit inside the hatching tray. My only issue with that is the incubator has holes in the flooring and I don't know if that will make a difference or if the fan will negate that concern.

That's a pretty good idea, but I do see your point. I like to pull them out as they dry, too, and opening the lid from one side to quickly snag a baby and it's shell is one thing. Having to use both hands to get inside a bag is another.

I was tossing around the idea of using thin plastic to-go containers. They should fit inside the hatching tray. My only issue with that is the incubator has holes in the flooring and I don't know if that will make a difference or if the fan will negate that concern.
I was thinking of only having one in each bag and have 3-4 bags. Then if I had to, I could have slivered the lid off, pull on the bag and get the chick and eggshell all at once.

I was thinking of only having one in each bag and have 3-4 bags. Then if I had to, I could have slivered the lid off, pull on the bag and get the chick and eggshell all at once.
I'm definitely going to consider that. It'll be much easier than trying to fit 8 or 9 different sized tupperwares in there!

I made one out of plastic canvas for this hatch, so I haven't used it yet, but I'm hoping it will work well.

I cut the bottom to fit the incubator, then cut the dividers and zip tied them in. I'll be able to clean and sanitize it before using it, and between hatches. I used flush cuters on the zip tie ends so there are no sharp pointy parts thay may cut a chick.

Attachments

• 20240210_142613.jpg
    20240210_142613.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 5
I made one out of plastic canvas for this hatch, so I haven't used it yet, but I'm hoping it will work well.

I cut the bottom to fit the incubator, then cut the dividers and zip tied them in. I'll be able to clean and sanitize it before using it, and between hatches. I used flush cuters on the zip tie ends so there are no sharp pointy parts thay may cut a chick.
That looks perfect and simple. I love it!

Thank you! I'm hoping it will be a success, it should give their feet good grip, allow good air flow, and keep then separate. That is the hope anyway! I will be putting them in lockdown on Tuesday night, hatch day is Saturday!
I got some while we were in town. I had a smaller hatch Thursday evening and lost track of who was who by the 10th chick or so. And two of the first three looked almost identical but had two completely different sets of parents!

Just learned today that Ameraucana cheeks are genetically dominant. All the fluffy faced birds are together and vice-versa. They did that, not me. I wanted Struggles and Cluckrista to be with Montgomery and they refused.

Good luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom