Can chickens go feral?

Legendchicken

Songster
Jan 21, 2017
Earth, Northern Hemmisphere
Hey guys just thinking out a thought here.I was wondering if chickens are capable of going wild. While i know there a feral chickens in citys and islands such as in california and florida or hawaii but i was wondering could theoreticly chickens adapt to a lifestyle to that of a turkey in say a place such as north eastern america.

I just love how animals adapt evolve and grow and was judt thinking this out of the back of my head. Just so you know i would never considering abandoning my feather children!

I don't think they could. Turkeys are indigenous to America and evolved to survive in the winter, chickens are indigenous to a tropical Asia. Chickens wouldn't be able to find the food sources that turkeys do. Turkeys are longer legged and able to fly much better than a chicken. They are also able to swallow bigger items like acorns.

Yes they can, and they have. However, it won't happen over night, and you need a large beginning population for it to be successful.

The first few years will see a lot of carnage as the slow domesticated layers are picked off to leave only those who are more savvy and fleet of foot (er wing).

Those that are more game type will begin to take root. Over subsequent years, you will have a small feral colony that will be lean, mean, and better adapted.

But if you take a small bunch of layers, they would be wiped out before they could take hold.

Winter does not have as much to do with it as numbers and general environmental conditions. Many chickens survive free ranging in cold climates.

The ability to fly and hide have a lot to do with it. And the ability to brood. Those things would have to be recaptured by the colony.

What kind of local predators obviously would make a difference as well. Also, if there is a native population to breed into would speed success up.

Certain areas (generally warmer climates as chickens are better suited to heat) have had local populations go feral. (See links below).

Chile is a good example of domesticated fowl co-mingling with native fowl. Hawaii is another example.

So how well your colony survives will depend upon the original numbers, diversity in genes, general environmental conditions, local predator levels, any natural native fowl, and time.

LofMc

http://www.nature.com/news/when-chickens-go-wild-1.19195

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-get-rid-of-feral-chickens/

I'm with you in your sentimental thinking. Let me put your mind to rest.:hugs. Feral chickens do occur and are quite common in places such as Hawaii. The offspring that are often found and collected do domesticate well. Need to be young chicks. (not sure about adult chickens). Your chickens are not likely to go feral. Chickens do like the comfort of housing, and grounds where they search out food. Chicken IQ is not that high to know that the feed you provide does not occur naturally. They are HAPPY to be not hungry, and comfy at night. Another fact is ......only the bantam variety as well as game hens would be able to survive in the wild. They have the ability to forage on natural vegetation and insects. All your other Large Fowl breeds would wither away from needed nutrition in no time, and expire.:hit. Way back in our history of Pioneers settling our country, they would release chickens into adjacent forests. They did not have enough food to share with their chicken, so those were let loose to do on their own. Not all that were let loose made it to maturity. Those that did were obviously caught and consumed .

You would be way ahead if you used gamefowl. No need to transition fat, lazy, layers that wouldn't make it.

I’m kinda going thru that now. We are in only 5 acres in the middle of a Forrest. I let me chickens roam freely all day in all seasons. In the beginning I lost one hen to a fox and one other hen to a hawk. Because the were in the large chicken run. Just a few days ago, the hens and roosters jumped a fox, I cannot believe it. When the fox grabbed one hen, everyone started attacking the fox and it had to let the one hen go. I heard the noise, when outside and chased the fox away, the one hen “attacked” was not harmed and laid and egg the next day like nothing happen. After the first couple of occurrences with the fox and the hawk, I have been letting them roam all day from dusk till dawn. 5 acres is not a lot but they roam the entire property and now they know where to hide. Also, I never clipped the wings, I use high perches in the hen house so they can have strong wings. My flock chickens can fly over a 4ft fence like it’s nothing and about over 60ft till they hit the ground.
Im so proud of them. Lol

I’m kinda going thru that now. We are in only 5 acres in the middle of a Forrest. I let me chickens roam freely all day in all seasons. In the beginning I lost one hen to a fox and one other hen to a hawk. Because the were in the large chicken run. Just a few days ago, the hens and roosters jumped a fox, I cannot believe it. When the fox grabbed one hen, everyone started attacking the fox and it had to let the one hen go. I heard the noise, when outside and chased the fox away, the one hen “attacked” was not harmed and laid and egg the next day like nothing happen. After the first couple of occurrences with the fox and the hawk, I have been letting them roam all day from dusk till dawn. 5 acres is not a lot but they roam the entire property and now they know where to hide. Also, I never clipped the wings, I use high perches in the hen house so they can have strong wings. My flock chickens can fly over a 4ft fence like it’s nothing and about over 60ft till they hit the ground.
Im so proud of them. Lol
I've had the same happen. The problem is that they will get caught eventually. Once the fox knows where to find an easy meal he'll be back.

Bit of an old thread to be replying to but anyway..

Back
Top Bottom