Can I have one silkie in a flock?

brandimarie72

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
I have two silkies, one hen and one rooster.
I have 3 other hens and one other rooster.
Long story short, the two silkies are not apart of the other flock and separate themselves. They even sleep separately. So that leave my one silkie to be the only hen my silkie roo mates with and he’s over mating with her and she’s getting some bald spots.
She is my favorite hens and I’d like to keep her but I’m scared that she won’t adapt into the original flock if I get rid of the silkie rooster. But I’m scared if I get rid of him and she doesn’t adapt she’ll be lonely. But I would rather give her to a better home with her silkie rooster if that means she’ll have a better life. I’m just not sure what is best.
Hoping someone can give me some answers.
I didn’t plan on having any Roos at all but my original rooster is a really good rooster and protects his girls and is really nice. He also likes the silkie hen too so I’m concerned that’s why she doesn’t try to fit with the other flock.

Long story short, the two silkies are not apart of the other flock and separate themselves. They even sleep separately. So that leave my one silkie to be the only hen my silkie roo mates with and he’s over mating with her and she’s getting some bald spots.
She is my favorite hens and I’d like to keep her but I’m scared that she won’t adapt into the original flock if I get rid of the silkie rooster. But I’m scared if I get rid of him and she doesn’t adapt she’ll be lonely. But I would rather give her to a better home with her silkie rooster if that means she’ll have a better life. I’m just not sure what is best.
I didn’t plan on having any Roos at all but my original rooster is a really good rooster and protects his girls and is really nice. He also likes the silkie hen too so I’m concerned that’s why she doesn’t try to fit with the other flock.
I would either get more silkies or rehome the both of them. That’s a tough situation

Don't get rid of the male. For the bald spots, you can get her a hen mating saddle from Amazon. That will protect her back from his claws. I would also recommend getting more silkie hens if that is an option.

I hope this helped!

I have one Silkie in my flock sadly the others in her group passed as baby chicks (got them from a feed store where the delivery was late I should have passed but anyway!) She's an awesome little hen and although she lives with my other hens prefers to be alone. I have given her purchased hatching eggs to hopefully hatch her a friend but they all turned out to be roos! (my luck lol) She's a great momma. After the chicks no longer need her she goes back to her single life and seems happy to do so my polish keeps trying to befriend her but she just seems to want to be alone. So I would say it is possible it just depends on the personality of the hen she may also decide to become part of the other flock once the roo is gone. Good luck!

Oh, the roos. They tend to upset the apple cart don't they? I have a mixed flock, including a bantam showgirl silkie. She is time but integrated great. I had a great roo until he passed away recently. New roos are 3 mos old and seperate, for now. We'll see how this works out.

If it doesnt, I have an awful neighbor that may be experiencing a rooster rescue on my property, by the fence line. Heh heh heh. 😈😈😈🤭🤭🤭

Back
Top Bottom