Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Busy busy! My bees swarmed this week and took forever to make one of my swarm traps their temporary home. Tomorrow I will move them to a deep box. Much worrying being done on my side as they were hanging in a tree in cold and wet weather for 5 days!!
Chickenwise, I have a broody Welsummer who is not even sitting on any eggs - just sitting on the floor of the coop in the shavings (that's where she always lays her eggs; she hates the nest boxes) and has stopped laying for more than a week. Her character has completely changed. I'm locking her out of the nesting area all day but she continues her quest for motherhood (without eggs) and is now being picked on by the other two hens who used to be so friendly with her. Country life!!
Sounds exciting! I have a broody hen currently as well, and she's super persistent. Another is on the verge of becoming broody, and I'm hoping she holds off for another few days, because she lays beautiful blue eggs, and is so nasty when she's setting...Country life is interesting, for sure! Best of luck to you this coming year.

Hello! We were new to chicken keeping in 2017. Still have some of our first girls. Now we are into showing and raising Phoenix. We also care for a Black Spanish Heritage trio, calls, ducks, Sebastopol geese and more chickens!
Wow, that's outstanding! Glad to hear all is well there! Thanks for the info! Good luck with your shows!

Been busy like everyone else it seems. Boy time flies by. Our chickens have luckily been healthy and just keep laying eggs. Our winter was not that cold or long, but we had very long, rough molt and finally back to everyone laying. Still have my 5 hens, but one acts like a rooster (still lays but jumps on the backs of the other hens), one crows like a rooster some mornings (still lays eggs), one likes to hide her eggs in the yard, one tried to hatch everyone else's eggs and my Violet Beauregarde does right (no drama).
Glad to hear things are well there. Sounds like a lot of fun too!! ☺️

hey there everyone, we currently have 30 chickens which are thriving and two turkeys. The female turkey successfully had two hatchings last year and she is sitting on 11 eggs right now. The weather has been cold so I kept most of the eggs inside and was sneaking 4 more eggs into the house each night until she finally went broody. At that point I gave her 11 back which she accepted without question and put 6 in the incubator. We are coming up on the first candling, hoping our male did his job and that we got the eggs into the house before the cold damaged them. We continue to enjoy all the great information on your site.
:frow Hiya! Glad to hear from you. Wow, that's neat you're able to get a broody turkey just when you need one! Good luck with the hatching in the incubator and her!!

Great way to check-in on the community and get more interaction @NifTy-Chicken👍

I’ve been trudging through some slop…Kept getting sick and this year in particular has been brutal. WFH full time, 2 kids 5year old and 1 year, 10 chickens, a dog, and 125 gallon fish tank… Finally I had an epiphany: I need to work less and shift focus to home and family. This month I decreased my hours and a part-time position at our church opened up. Hopefully I’ll start that in June and get away from so much computer work. Chickens have survived my neglect. Right now they are outside enjoying the excessive weeds and bugs in our backyard garden. The front garden bed (pictured) is in full bloom thanks to the chicken manure we added last year. I love that our food waste goes to the chickens, their waste eventually feeds our garden which feeds us, and they feed us with eggs. 🥳 Hopefully, with less time working for someone else I’ll be able to expand the chicken run and our gardens. For now I’m enjoying spring time and the little bit of extra time away from the computer.
Beautifully put!!

Love the photos, thanks for sharing. Good luck with your new job. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom