Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hey all!

Like most here, life has gotten busy. I'm getting ready to move and trying to figure out the best way to move my chicks. A few weeks ago a coyote came right up to the house mid day while the girls were out and took 2 of them. One more had a good chunk out of her side and she of course hated a bandage. But she seems to be getting around well and finally healing up. Since my flock was already down from a heat wave a while back, I now have 13 new chicks and a duckling.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

• 0426241930.jpg
    0426241930.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0420241834.jpg
    0420241834.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Hey all!

Like most here, life has gotten busy. I'm getting ready to move and trying to figure out the best way to move my chicks. A few weeks ago a coyote came right up to the house mid day while the girls were out and took 2 of them. One more had a good chunk out of her side and she of course hated a bandage. But she seems to be getting around well and finally healing up. Since my flock was already down from a heat wave a while back, I now have 13 new chicks and a duckling.

I hope everyone is doing well!
I hope the move goes well!

Coyotes can be very bad predators.

Last edited:
Hello, hello, hello! Well, in November 2021 we moved from Cave Creek, AZ to Kansas City, MO, actually an area called Grain Valley. I had written in about transporting chickens. I didn't see any replies re that distance of traveling. We also had 4 dogs, a cat and eventually our two donkeys came out on a transport. It was a lot of adjustments for all of us, but we are now settling in. Lots of rain, lots of different temperatures to adjust to, but I think everyone is happy. We didn't have any issues with our chickens. I put 3 hens in a chicken carrier, a good size crate but not too tall. The other 2 hens in another carrier/crate, same type, and our Rooster in a cat carrier. I did have water for them, put food in, and in two days of full driving, they managed well. It was funny as they were stacked in the back of my rental SUV, and when I'd go to open the back hatch, there were all these chickens staring out. I got a few funny looks, but mostly smiles. They cooed and crowed all the way there. Louis the rooster really crowed when we were just arriving into our destination...it was really funny! The girls even layed eggs on the way! They were real troopers! Their coop is in a corner of a larger out building, in with the donkeys. I have fans in the summer and this year I used a small cooper warmer. Not a bulb but minimal radiating heat. It really helped when it was below 7 degrees. We've all had to adjust. I had lived in CA/AZ most of my adult life, but grew up in Omaha, NE. This area is just 10 minutes from my brother and a short 3 1/2 hour drive to Omaha to see my mom. LOVE the seasons! We have a large acreage and mostly treed. Smaller rural areas around us. 20 minutes from everything. Thanks for checking in with me!!! I do read articles though, just don't post. ALWAYS very, very insightful!!
Lisa. Still have the name Cave Creek Chicken Mama though, may change it some day.....

Back
Top Bottom