Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello, hello, hello! Well, in November 2021 we moved from Cave Creek, AZ to Kansas City, MO, actually an area called Grain Valley. I had written in about transporting chickens. I didn't see any replies re that distance of traveling. We also had 4 dogs, a cat and eventually our two donkeys came out on a transport. It was a lot of adjustments for all of us, but we are now settling in. Lots of rain, lots of different temperatures to adjust to, but I think everyone is happy. We didn't have any issues with our chickens. I put 3 hens in a chicken carrier, a good size crate but not too tall. The other 2 hens in another carrier/crate, same type, and our Rooster in a cat carrier. I did have water for them, put food in, and in two days of full driving, they managed well. It was funny as they were stacked in the back of my rental SUV, and when I'd go to open the back hatch, there were all these chickens staring out. I got a few funny looks, but mostly smiles. They cooed and crowed all the way there. Louis the rooster really crowed when we were just arriving into our destination...it was really funny! The girls even layed eggs on the way! They were real troopers! Their coop is in a corner of a larger out building, in with the donkeys. I have fans in the summer and this year I used a small cooper warmer. Not a bulb but minimal radiating heat. It really helped when it was below 7 degrees. We've all had to adjust. I had lived in CA/AZ most of my adult life, but grew up in Omaha, NE. This area is just 10 minutes from my brother and a short 3 1/2 hour drive to Omaha to see my mom. LOVE the seasons! We have a large acreage and mostly treed. Smaller rural areas around us. 20 minutes from everything. Thanks for checking in with me!!! I do read articles though, just don't post. ALWAYS very, very insightful!!
Lisa. Still have the name Cave Creek Chicken Mama though, may change it some day.....
Thanks for the update!

It sounds like quit an adventure moving to the new place. I am happy that all is well with the flock!

Hello, I'm still living my day-to-day life. We hadn't had chickens for a year or so but we just got two cuckoo maran pullets. Tiny little eggs so far, but one a day each. So, I'm back to backyardchicken-ing. No photos right now, I'll post some soon.

Angela
Welcome back to BackYard Chickens! I got a couple of Cuckoo Marans a couple of years ago and I love them. Sadly, I lost one of them, but my Zelda (the other one) is always awesome. Does your's like to talk back to you?

Hello all its been a while, became busy with a new job and adopted my flock away. Thinking of starting over again with some ducks.So many blackberries always sprouting up in my yard tho, last time my birds got bumble foot. Wishing I could find someone to make duck shoes.
Welcome back to BackYard Chickens! The thorn bushes are always the worst. I've cut mine down during the winter so the leaves don't hide the thorns. Then when the snow melted, I cut the remaining pieces up and planted grass so the lawn mower doesn't give them a chance to grow back. Are you able to fence off the area? Ducks are so adorable.

It's Spring and we're busy over here! LOL We just raised up a couple handfuls of meat birds, I dry hatched out 23 new egg layers, we're starting to raise some Bresse as an alternative to CornishX. I've been busy canning up the meat birds we just processed, but I had a heart attack this last week and they can only surmise it was caused by "broken heart syndrome", so I'm kinda sidelined for the next couple months. Thanks for asking!
Thank you for the update. I'm so sorry about your heart attack. That had to be so scary. :hugs I've head that the Bresse's meat is divine. Have you tasted them yet? I've only done the Cornish X, but I'd like to get some of those someday. They are beautiful as well.

Back
Top Bottom