Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I haven't been active on BYC since the fall, just distracted elsewhere with life: Getting settled in after the move to a new farm and all the upgrades and adjustments (inside and out!) that requires, new grandbaby for whom I get the blessing of babysitting 4 days a week, winter care and feeding of the usual livestock and a new batch of feeder pigs, sudden and extreme family drama, and increasing and troublesome health and pain issues.

Currently, I'm in the midst of completing a hoop coop for growing out chicks, hatching chicks, kitchen remodeling, new huge chicken run and camper-coop under construction, and rounds of doctor appointments - around the babysitting schedule. So very, very busy still, but I'm finding some time to check in once in a while.

I still have my heritage flock of about 42 chickens, including 3 very well-behaved roosters (lucky me!) --- my tiny American Bresse flock trying to get started, including one mean d!ckh*d rooster, three hens, (7) one-week-old chicks, and 12 more Bresse eggs in the incubator --- and (8) ten-week-old Easter Eggers and (2) unidentified rescue chicks still in the 'Nursery Coop'.

Whew. Each day is a challenge! And a blessing.
Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

Been very busy lately. Moved houses, and my girls are really loving the new place. I've also started keeping quail which has been a bit of a learning curve, and I've had a few hiccups but I'm really loving them.
PXL_20240404_042309691.jpg
PXL_20240208_075825656.jpg

Been very busy lately. Moved houses, and my girls are really loving the new place. I've also started keeping quail which has been a bit of a learning curve, and I've had a few hiccups but I'm really loving them.View attachment 3818093View attachment 3818095
Great to have you stop by, and thanks for the pics!

I need to build something like your wood run so I can move my flock around to do some weed eating. A lightweight chicken tractor!

Cool about quail! My GF would love to raise them. Keep us posted here with your experiences: Quail

My advice on bees is don't spend any more money on them than you have to. There are hives that can be built very easily from scrap (KHTB, Layens, Long Langstroth). In most areas you can catch swarms in bait boxes/swarm traps for free. If something doesn't pan out, you're out very little money. There's a lot more stuff out to get bees than there is for chickens.
GREAT advice for us as we debate adding bees to our household. Thanks!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Just had my 76 year old ankle replaced so I'm not seeing much of my little flock. I have friends caring for them. Today my really large rooster jumped up expecting to be hand fed some goodies and startled the crap out of my friend, Sarah. Nearly all of my girls will come to be hand fed, and when I got the new rooster, he stood around watching them getting all the fancy goodies--bits of cheese, juicy grubs from the garden, strawberry tops, etc. One day the girls were all gathered around my feet when the big boy pushed his way in to get his share. I know dogs and horses are observational learners, but this was quite a surprise. Can't wait to get back to see my little flock.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Doing great starting a silkie crew and its allot of fun. THanks for checking in.

Back
Top Bottom