Chicken Food Tower

I couldn't keep mine moist enough, stupid as that sounds here in FL. But I'm not giving up on the idea.
I've had that issue with every sort of raised bed I've tried here in central NC.

They have to be watered more than once per day in blistering heat.

Same here. Everything gets planted directly in the ground. I also mulch things like tomatoes, cucumbers and flowers.
I do grazing frames for the chickens so they can't tear up the roots.

If you really wanted to try the circles, put a piece of pvc with holes drilled into it in the middle of the stack. That would let you water in the middle and lower parts of the pile. I've set up large strawberry jars this way so the bottom plants can get more water.

ANY pot or raised bed type of plant needs to be watered more than once a day in southern climates. If the plant is in the ground, you have the entire EARTH as a heat sink, pulling the blistering heat of the sun away and acting as a watershed. If it's in a pot, or trellace, or stand up garden, then the heat sinking properties of the earth are no longer there. Plus.

a. the sun is on the root bulb now, which it would NOT be if the plant is in the ground, heating that up WAY more than it would be in the ground. This also puts more heat energy into it which dries it out faster than in the ground.

b. the wind can no blow around it as well, further helping remove the moisture.

I find that watering twice a day tended to work well for my plants.

once at about 9 to 10 am, before it gets too hot and just evaps it right off, and once again towards night. if you don't want to water and let it soak overnight (some people don't like this, yet don't think twice about when it rains overnight)n about 5 to 7 pm works, the super blistering heat is over with now so more of the water is on the plants and able to soak into them and their soil.

Not to mention, if you see a storm coming up, you can hold off on a watering session as well.

aaron

ANY pot or raised bed type of plant needs to be watered more than once a day in southern climates. If the plant is in the ground, you have the entire EARTH as a heat sink, pulling the blistering heat of the sun away and acting as a watershed. If it's in a pot, or trellace, or stand up garden, then the heat sinking properties of the earth are no longer there. Plus.

a. the sun is on the root bulb now, which it would NOT be if the plant is in the ground, heating that up WAY more than it would be in the ground. This also puts more heat energy into it which dries it out faster than in the ground.

b. the wind can no blow around it as well, further helping remove the moisture.

I find that watering twice a day tended to work well for my plants.

once at about 9 to 10 am, before it gets too hot and just evaps it right off, and once again towards night. if you don't want to water and let it soak overnight (some people don't like this, yet don't think twice about when it rains overnight)n about 5 to 7 pm works, the super blistering heat is over with now so more of the water is on the plants and able to soak into them and their soil.

Not to mention, if you see a storm coming up, you can hold off on a watering session as well.

aaron

I just don't have time for that. :)

Same here. Everything gets planted directly in the ground. I also mulch things like tomatoes, cucumbers and flowers.
I do grazing frames for the chickens so they can't tear up the roots.

If you really wanted to try the circles, put a piece of pvc with holes drilled into it in the middle of the stack. That would let you water in the middle and lower parts of the pile. I've set up large strawberry jars this way so the bottom plants can get more water.

I set a five gallon bucket in mine, with holes in the bottom and a lid. Would fill the bucket, set the lid back on. and keep in mind, we average an inch+ of rainfall a week. My pile was about 4' diameter, and roughly 3' tall - it worked for a time, then died back, then came back, then died back, and now... 17 degrees overnight in two days. I expect that will do it in till spring.

Hey everyone, I didn't have time to update this thread so far, but the towers are still there.

We have a much colder winter this year, so some of the perennial plants I set inside might not make it.

However, strawberries and lamb lettuce are hanging there fine. We will make some changes in spring for the run, majorly adding a roof. So, I will use this chance to renovate the towers, too. Let's keep exchanging the idea and iterations further.

Our hens are gradually finishing their molting and start laying again!
P_20230117_145139.jpg

Wish you and your chickens a warm and cosy winter (or cool and cosy summer in the other side)! 😁

okay, i do keep working on it, many ideas, also find some old stuffs and give them new purposes, first, the roosting bar (it's something from previous house owner, i guess it's a part of broom?) The towers are quite stable as the materials inside is quite a lot and wet

View attachment 2752799
Then, added a roof (which is originally used last year for a temporary protection for tomatoes, but now we have a greenhouse.
View attachment 2752801

okay, veggies and grass planted, and girls have now a place to hang out when it rains :D, and leads the rain water going to the planting towers at two sides.
View attachment 2752802

I will keep updating this one, really excited! Earlier this year I mixed wild flower seeds with compost and created several wild flower boarders, which are awesome. Now I can't wait to see how a food tower can look like!
Do you have any updates on how this went? Looks like an amazing idea!!

2023.02.19 Update for CFT No.1~3

Hi everyone, I am back to update this thread now. With too many household projects at hand, it's a bit difficult to take care of everything.

Well, the content of each tower shrank a lot, and the first batch of residents are still there, including lavender, strawberries, lamp lettuces, and grass.

I am also preparing the next batch of plants for the towers, including asters, garden MUMs, mints, more strawberries, and maybe a bit of sedum - all propagated from our own garden plants.

I already have some ideas to provide efficient irrigation and will update after I make it into reality. :D
3018.jpg

3017.jpg

3019.jpg

Hey Phaedra, I am fairly certain chrysanthemums are toxic to chickens, so careful about those ones. My girls loved asters though, and strawberries of course.
2023.02.19 Update for CFT No.1~3

Hi everyone, I am back to update this thread now. With too many household projects at hand, it's a bit difficult to take care of everything.

Well, the content of each tower shrank a lot, and the first batch of residents are still there, including lavender, strawberries, lamp lettuces, and grass.

I am also preparing the next batch of plants for the towers, including asters, garden MUMs, mints, more strawberries, and maybe a bit of sedum - all propagated from our own garden plants.

I already have some ideas to provide efficient irrigation and will update after I make it into reality. :D
View attachment 3409612
View attachment 3409611
View attachment 3409613

Back
Top Bottom