Chicken with swollen eyelid, congested sounding breathing and sluggish, please help!

PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! I was giving her some wet mash and now blood is coming out of her mouth, nose and swollen eye I don’t know what to do!!! Could the yellow plaque have come off and now it’s bleeding??!! How do I stop/help the bleeding?!

Photos!!

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 8
I am sorry. Yes, plaques coming loose or being removed can bleed a great deal. The sinus cavity is directly connected to the roof of the beak and behind the eye, so it is possible to all be connected. I am not sure how to stop the bleeding except with pressure at the source of bleeding. Let us know if it slows down or stops. It should begin to clot.

I am sorry. Yes, plaques coming loose or being removed can bleed a great deal. The sinus cavity is directly connected to the roof of the beak and behind the eye, so it is possible to all be connected. I am not sure how to stop the bleeding except with pressure at the source of bleeding. Let us know if it slows down or stops. It should begin to clot.
The plaque is partly in her throat so I don’t know how to apply pressure if possible… and it was fairly large, I got a look at it briefly before I started hand feeding her/the bleeding and it looked off-colored like green/dark brown in some areas. It definitely is starting to clot, she has some small chunks of blood coming out of her beak. The blood is now in her nostril and both eyes…
It’s dusk here so she was ready to go to bed and went in her nest box, but she seemed cramped in there so I put some pines shavings in a cardboard box and put her there to sleep instead. She’s was acting like herself for the most part..
now she’s sitting and resting…
Should I leave her be? I’m so upset I feel so bad for her! :hit

I’ve been sitting in the coop with her for a while now, she was resting and breathing quietly and then she lifted her head and shook it a couple times, and a huge blood clot came out, it’s about the size of a quarter… I don’t know if she’ll make it.. her face is covered in blood. I’m going to see her condition in the morning, and if she looks like she’s in pain and suffering we’ll put her to rest…… my dad won’t be back home till tomorrow evening so it would be then…. I can’t do it myself..

I won’t be able to check on her frequently tomorrow since I have to work and won’t be home till late afternoon.., should I leave anything out for her like some fresh plain water or wet food? I read somewhere on this website that Acidified Copper Sulfate could burn exposed/wounded tissue so I probably should stop that for now? She was preening herself and trying to get the dried blood off her face, I’m so worried about causing the wound to bleed again with her making quick movements..

Checked on her this morning, it appeared the bleeding had stopped overnight and most of the dried blood on her face was gone, where she had scratched it off. She was still resting while I was getting both chickens set up for the day. I left her some fresh plain water and a plate of wet mash and scrambled egg just in case, no ACS water I was concerned about it irritating her throat. Before I left for work I checked on her one more time and she had gotten out of her box and was getting a drink of water.

Here she is, she still has some dried blood on her face, I did not see any new blood spots in her enclosed area. I’m thinking of rinsing her eyes with a little saline. She’s drinking a lot of water (still some bubbly saliva on her beak). I’m going to make a mixture of thyme, rosemary, cilantro, oregano and garlic “tea” to mix in with her water. Also offering soft foods like egg, wet mash, and maybe some fruit would be good? I want to have a look in her mouth to see how it is but don’t want to stress her out and have her open the wound again..

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    637.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 7
Here she is, she still has some dried blood on her face, I did not see any new blood spots in her enclosed area. I’m thinking of rinsing her eyes with a little saline. She’s drinking a lot of water (still some bubbly saliva on her beak). I’m going to make a mixture of thyme, rosemary, cilantro, oregano and garlic “tea” to mix in with her water. Also offering soft foods like egg, wet mash, and maybe some fruit would be good? I want to have a look in her mouth to see how it is but don’t want to stress her out and have her open the wound again..
Also here’s her only poop from today from what I can see

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    777.6 KB · Views: 7
So I got a look in her mouth just a bit ago, the yellow plaque is still there. Looked a little discolored in a couple small spots, but seems still pretty much the same size. Could not see very well if there were any noticeable scabs from the blood so I don’t really know where the bleeding wound was. She’s drinking plenty water but not eating much. I notice that when she goes to breathe out, her left size of her throat kind of puffs/bubbles out like it’s full of air. Could it be the saliva/mucus blocking the air as she’s breathing? The corner of her mouth that always has that bubbly saliva is on the same side. Should I put her back on the ACS since I see the plaque still? She had just finished Day 5 of the treatment when the episode happened and I stopped treating since then.. I’m at a loss.. I just wish she felt like herself again it breaks my heart I love her so much…

Attachments

• IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom