Chicken with swollen hock, limping

Boppo

Crossing the Road
Feb 13, 2022
Eastern Massachusetts
Hi, I even took this poor hen to the vet. They verified that her feet are fine - no bumblefoot, which I was worried I just didn't know how to recognize. Her right hock is swollen, and now her left foot is getting stressed from being over used. The vet took some samples and blood work and the results came back with no bacteria (thank God!!), but lots of inflammation.

I cannot even imagine what could have caused this. I am giving her both antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines. World's most expensive back yard chicken. But I do love her. Any ideas? Also, any tips on giving these liquid medicines. They gave me a marked syringe, so I guess we can keep trying the squirt method. I tried mixing some into the fermented mash I give them, just a small amount, just for her. The biggest problem is keeping the other, nosy girls out of it.

This may help you in giving the meds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
There is a video at the bottom that's good.
PIctures of the joint might help with getting suggestions of what might be going on. It's possible it's a sprain/strain, maybe got the leg caught somewhere, when they struggle to get loose they can really hurt themselves. Those can take time to resolve, sometimes weeks to months. If she will tolerate it and you can get her dried before going back out so as not to get chilled, daily soaks in warm epsom salts can help with pain and swelling.

She was doing pretty good with warm epsom salt soaks when I was worried about bumblefoot. I pop her in a narrow bucket with about a half inch of warm water and she squats down. I drape a towel over her and she settles down for a little spa time. I think that's a good idea, and will try starting it again. I would like it for my sore joints.

Thank you so much for the video! Though she ate most of the mash tonight. I realized that she and the shyest of the flock are the last to go into the coop. So I shut the door on the 2 bosses, who tried to steal her mash this morning, and held the medicated mash for her. She ate nearly every bit, though it took a while. I could combine the 2 things - mash and a soak.

Either way is fine as long as she's getting the complete dose. Do what works best.
Hope she starts to improve. If needed you can crate her in a wire crate in the run to minimize activity and let it rest, that way she can still see them and they can see her. That reduces stress and makes reintegrating easier. Best of luck with her!

That might be a good idea. I have to pick up the antibiotics that just got prescribed today. I will double check with the vet pharmacist about giving both with the mash, to be sure it's OK. With the anti-inflammatory, I have a lot less compunction.

Back
Top Bottom