Chicks have strange lumps just hatched

Beathebutton

Songster
Jan 25, 2024
two of my button quail chicks JUST hatched… they are well overdue so I helped both hatch, I saved them from my adult quail as they’d abandoned their nest a few days before hatch date and the eggs went cold😬anyway they both have a dark lump where their “umbilical cord” was I haven’t noticed it before! Any advice or ideas??? Advise much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8095.jpeg
    IMG_8095.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 20
two of my button quail chicks JUST hatched… they are well overdue so I helped both hatch, I saved them from my adult quail as they’d abandoned their nest a few days before hatch date and the eggs went cold😬anyway they both have a dark lump where their “umbilical cord” was I haven’t noticed it before! Any advice or ideas??? Advise much appreciated
I think that is just from absorbing the yolk before hatching, and should go down in the next day or so as their bodies use those nutrients.

So I would just treat them like normal babies for now: provide a safe brooder, correct temperature, food & water, do not let small children sqeeze them or cats play with them, all that stuff.

(If I am wrong, hopefully someone else will point it out. I don't want to be giving wrong advice!)

I think that is just from absorbing the yolk before hatching, and should go down in the next day or so as their bodies use those nutrients.

So I would just treat them like normal babies for now: provide a safe brooder, correct temperature, food & water, do not let small children sqeeze them or cats play with them, all that stuff.

(If I am wrong, hopefully someone else will point it out. I don't want to be giving wrong advice!)
Thanks for the advice! They’re both moving around and acting normal 👍

Back
Top Bottom