Color/pattern questions

Amarie420

Chirping
Mar 18, 2023
Now that I've found this group I'm going to ask a million questions.

#1 being because I'm an extremely impatient person & I can't ever wait for babies to grow out, I want answers now!! Lol #2 because I'm curious & like to learn.

So I am not a breeder, nor do I show, my chickens are for my adoration alone. I've purchased chicks from an online hatchery, from coastal, personal breeders & I've purchased eggs to incubate & also recently hatched a couple of my own, but they're all pets too me. So you can imagine my knowledge is fairly minimal, which is what brings me here now.

I'm curious if anyone can give me some insight on a couple of my chickens. The first one is my sweet silkie girl. When I got her at a week old she was completely white, a little yellow ish on her head, now she's about 9 months old & appears to be splash, but her coloring is not black or blue, it's brown... so could she be a chocolate splash? The other two younger chicks are 5 weeks old & were all black when I got them (the day they hatched) now one is a beautiful grey with lighter grey "highlights". The other is all black with what appears to be a grey & white colored head, almost like an eagle lol. All I know about them is that father is buff & she has a mottled black hen that only has mottling on her head, but no idea if she could be the mother. Anyone have any ideas??

Attachments

• 20220829_102154.jpg
    20220829_102154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230321_170506.jpg
    20230321_170506.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230317_123432.jpg
    20230317_123432.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230317_123419.jpg
    20230317_123419.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230317_111330.jpg
    20230317_111330.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230317_111301.jpg
    20230317_111301.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 3
I can't help very much. I don't do Silkies well at all. The furry feathers throw me off, and some of the colors go by different names in Silkies vs. other breeds.

all black when I got them (the day they hatched)... all black with what appears to be a grey & white colored head, almost like an eagle
Sounds typical of the Birchen color in many chicken breeds: they hatch out all black, grow up to have some white in the neck & hackles, and males also have that color in a few other places.

All I know about them is that father is buff & she has a mottled black hen that only has mottling on her head, but no idea if she could be the mother.
Mixing colors can give some confusing results. It's fairly common to get non-standard colors, that may not even have names. They can still be pretty chickens, just not suitable for entering in a show, difficult to describe, and if you breed them it can be hard to predict what results you will get. None of those points hurt the chickens, and none of those points are really a problem in a typical backyard flock.

Last edited:
Now that I've found this group I'm going to ask a million questions.

#1 being because I'm an extremely impatient person & I can't ever wait for babies to grow out, I want answers now!! Lol #2 because I'm curious & like to learn.

So I am not a breeder, nor do I show, my chickens are for my adoration alone. I've purchased chicks from an online hatchery, from coastal, personal breeders & I've purchased eggs to incubate & also recently hatched a couple of my own, but they're all pets too me. So you can imagine my knowledge is fairly minimal, which is what brings me here now.

I'm curious if anyone can give me some insight on a couple of my chickens. The first one is my sweet silkie girl. When I got her at a week old she was completely white, a little yellow ish on her head, now she's about 9 months old & appears to be splash, but her coloring is not black or blue, it's brown... so could she be a chocolate splash? The other two younger chicks are 5 weeks old & were all black when I got them (the day they hatched) now one is a beautiful grey with lighter grey "highlights". The other is all black with what appears to be a grey & white colored head, almost like an eagle lol. All I know about them is that father is buff & she has a mottled black hen that only has mottling on her head, but no idea if she could be the mother. Anyone have any ideas??
The Splash, is splash. She has a tiny amount of red leakage.

The first Dark one is Silver Birchen.(Picture #3)

Second Dark one is Blue Silver Partridge.(Picture #5.)

Back
Top Bottom