Converting portion of shed - is 3x8 too narrow?

StevenMNielson

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Silverdale, WA
I am designing my new coop based on the room available in my shed. I have been designing as I go, and have a general question regarding space and roost space.

The coop is about 30 inches wide and 6 feet long (for three birds). After 6 feet I step up three feet (to give myself storage outside/under the coop for the food/shavings/etc) where I will make the roost(s), basically two roosts over two feet at two heights with a poop board and light litter underneath the roost. NOW - I have heard that the roost needs to be twelve inches away from the walls - that leaves me no room. DO I NEED TO WIDEN?

Also, the nesting box (14x14x14), of which I am only providing one for the three hens, is 24 inches from the bare floor, perpendicular to the length of the coop, and inside the coop - I provided a roost to assist the ladies into the nesting box... Think this will work? I can always turn that around to provide more room to get into the nest.

here is a rough draft of my design thus far. Any pointers appreciated.
coopdesign.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks good.
thumbsup.gif

I didn't see how close you are to the wall, but my highest roosting bar is @ 8 inches from the wall, and they seem plenty happy with it.

Quote:
It is built inside my 8x8 tool shed... wind wont be an issue.

Quote:
I think I got the square footage taken care of... but it seems that most are 4 feet wide... just wondering if 3 feet is too narrow?

KKatknap :

I didn't see how close you are to the wall, but my highest roosting bar is @ 8 inches from the wall, and they seem plenty happy with it.

I was planning on posting the roost from wall to wall and letting them sort it out. Is that a bad idea?​

How narrow are you? Will you fit? Will you be able to turn around? If yes, then your fine. Some of the benefits of building your own coop is exactly this--you can make it whatever size to fit your needs!

My coop is going to be: 10FT wide 12FT long Front 7FT tall Back 5FT Tall
from Left to right, 3X10 Is the 'human side' 3.5 x10 is the Coop 5.5x10 is the hardware wire enclosed run (this will legally house 4 Hens.......... Illegally & Comfortably 5/6 Hens)

welcome-byc.gif
I am not able to give instruction
I can only tell you what I did and
its been working great.4x8 shed 7ft.tall large window with
screened, and a wood drop downcover on a long hinge
in case of bad weather.
and 12 cochins
3 nest boxes.and 2 roost 6inches from the wall. with an
attached covered 4x10 run.with access door for clean out.
I clean out the shed 2x year, adding fresh shavings when needed.
useing deep litter.never lost any. all seem happy and healthy.

Well, 30" is actually just 2 1/2', not 3'. That is going to be quite uncomfortable and awkward for you to work in when you have to clean, refill things, catch or check birds, etc. It is not un-do-able, but would be unpleasant. I would not go narrower than 4' myself (from experience, and even in a 4' wide pen I spend a certain amount of time whomping into the walls
tongue.png
)

If this is only for 3 chickens you might be fine with just one roost if they get along reasonably well. I would not put it closer than 10" to the back wall of the coop b/c it will interfere with how they will want to sleep, but beyond that how far you put it from the wall just depends on how much squirty cecal poo you want to be getting on the wall
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom