Crow attack , 4 week chick dropped from sky can’t walk

Elle_Gold

Hatching
May 1, 2024
Hey chicken friends,
This site has been so helpful raising my chicks so I hope someone can help.
A few days ago a crow or big bird of sone type attacked my month old chick , we heard noise and as we approached the yard saw a little fluffy thing fall from sky, it was one of the the little chicks.
She landed on her back and was in severe shock, we thought she would pass but she hung in there as we put her in a warm quiet carrier and started getting her back to health.
She is slowly getting better each day but struggles to walk or stand without flopping to the side.
She seems fustrated as she’s trying really hard flappy but can’t seem to stand.
I was thinking to try the leg brace trick and make a make shift sling type thing like a ‘jolly jumper’ with holes for wings, feet, tail and head to give her practing walking each day with my help but don’t want to injure her further.
I can’t see any evidence or scares or bruising from the bird attack , my fear is she heal but legs won’t recover and she’ll be unable to walk so I want to give her the best chance of hopefully moving without my help in the future!
Thanks so much if anyone has any suggestions?

Shock from a predator attack can poroduce these symptoms. A victim of any predator attack must receive treatment for shock. One teaspoon of sugar in one cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda to balance electrolytes.

The fall and impact from it could have damaged some nerve endings. Give B-complex and vitamin E for the next week or two. Shove the pills right into the beak. Feeding egg with the E can help it absorb.

Back
Top Bottom