Pics
May i ask why you think this? To me this doesn't look cuckoo, because I've raised cuckoo polish for a family member and this isn't quite what cuckoo looks like on smooth feathers, at least in my experience.
I guessed cuckoo as I have silkie cuckoos and kind of assume if they were satin they'd look similar except mine are gray. That very well could be laced, but I'm not hugely familiar with those, thus, I jumped to thinking it's cuckoo. But, I think you're right. Check these out. And on Facebook I found a group for a Pencil Laced Silkie Satin Project. Talk about a long name lol.

Had you seen this one? His name is MB. (Most Beautiful). My favorite one I thought was a cuckoo but a couple have suggested he's laced. I don't care what he is, I'm keeping him!!

B&W.JPEG

I'm glad you asked as now I know more about that variation of silkies, but at this time, I have to stay with the "projects" I have.

Also questions here.
I have a Buff hen (unless I colour ID'd her wrong) and in one of my recent hatches I got a beautiful little buff cockerel, I have no Buff silkie roos.
I also breed Buff Sussex and I know you can breed Buff to non Buff (I've done to Light personally) and get Buff. I do not know if Buff in Silkies is the same as in sussex though, but if anyone does know that I'd love to know!

I only know to make a true buff silkie, you need a pair of buffs. I've read that a few places, and there really isn't a lot of information out there, but NatJ is like the BYC guru of chicken genetics, and when he says Buff to Buff for a Buff, I believe him. I only saw that post today but read it elsewhere. It's said that we may have to improve upon the buff color a few generations down the road but I'm not there yet and won't be for another year, so I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. Right now, this is the only buff I own. I may have more on the way in a few weeks but that's why that project won't be for a while.

buff frizzle.JPEG

@janiedoe Sorry this is not the best photo but you can kind of see the faint “stripe” pattern on her. Or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?? She also has a hint of red to her comb which makes me think cuckoo. She’s about 8-9 weeks old (and hopefully she is a she!! Her comb is tiny which is why I am guessing pullet.) She’s also the tiny chick in my avatar photo!

Attachments

• IMG_8340.jpeg
    IMG_8340.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My intent in the beginning was to get buffs from her. The other kinds were bonus. She only had two buff eggs and told me what else she had. The "what else she had" list was great, but I am defeating my purpose in getting buffs from her. I'll wait another week and see what she comes up with.

If you put a cuckoo hen with a solid roo it will be a sexlinked pairing; all boys will be cuckoo and girls will be solid.

But that's saying she's a cuckoo. If she's buff, my understanding is you can only breed buff to buff to get a buff. I am not sure what you'll get with black, but it won't be buff. You may like what you get though! I was thinking of asking NatJ to jump in, but went searching first, and wouldn't you know...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-i-breed-buff-silkie-to.1513571/post-25460966
Debbie, thanks for the reference to that thread! I have a hen that is black with a brown head and neck (I call her a gold birchen though I actually have no idea what she is - she was born solid black, not partridge) anyways I was thinking maybe I would end up with chicks in a similar pattern or just a fun surprise if I breed this lemon cuckoo to black.

Back
Top Bottom