Delaware and Silver lace wyandotte (pic heavy)

cochin_kookoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Ureka, CO
I have three chicks that I picked up at our local feed store. They where all sexed as female but I am wondering about one of the delawares and the wyandotte. They are about 10 week sold.

I am worried about the delaware no the left...

Thanks!!!

Pretty sure the Delaware is a cockerel. As for the SLW, it has me a little stumped. The comb is pretty small still, which makes me think pullet. But the lacing what is throwing me off. My SLW is much more uniform of a pattern and isn't as splotchy (sorry if that's not the correct term lol). Although I do not see any saddle/hackle feathers or red coming through. Maybe it's a pullet with poor lacing
hu.gif
Hopefully someone else will chime in and give their opinion!

Ok, they are all hatchery so I wouldn't be surprised if it is poor coloring but I was worried by the amour of white in the SLW wings. I am hoping that the delaware is a dominate pullet but I have never had one before so I'm stumped.

I bought two SLW that were supposed to be females. One of them had uneven lacing on the back feathers like yours and the other was beautifully laced. I thought, well she isn't the standard for a SLW but thats fine. Turned out the uneven look of the black and white meant roo. I am leaning toward roo on your SLW just because it looks almost just like mine did. I hope I'm wrong for your sake though!

As much as I don't want roos it wont be a problem. My closest neighbor is 1/2 a mile away so I can keep as many roos as I want but bummer!

I'm thinking the SL is a girl-if she is hatchery, their lacing is all over the place-the comb/waddles looks nothing like a boy from what we've had at that same age. There is usually alot more development by now, if it's a boy. So keep your fingers crossed and give it a little more time.

At 10 weeks of age, don't be too sure that Delaware is a cockerel. It's a very poorly colored Delaware, for sure, but most Del males have a big honking comb by that age and many are already crowing. Delaware pullets pinken up sooner than some other breeds I've had.

Here is a 6 week old Delaware male, though mine are from heritage breeder lines:

Last edited:
Yeeaaaa! There might still be hope! I wasn't expecting to get a good colored bird from a hatchery but put of curiosity what is considered "good" coloring on a delaware?

Back
Top Bottom