Do You Have To Rotate Non-Incubating Eggs?

RattleCan

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Maryland, USA
Hello all, my question is specifically in regards to button quail, but I figured it applied to all birds whose eggs need to be rotated during incubation.

Normally when I incubate my quail eggs, I rotate them three times a day by hand until whatever day I'm supposed to stop rotating them. Since the number of days an egg has been in the incubator is different for each egg if new eggs are added to the incubator daily (Even when I write dates on the eggs) is really confusing, I've decided to added eggs into the incubator in waves, i.e. two dozen at a single time.

Well, I get about 1-3 eggs a day from my breeding quails. This means eggs sit around for several days prior to being put in the incubator.

My question is, do eggs that haven't been placed in the incubator yet need to be rotated? Or do they need any special care? Should they be stored a certain way? I've just been letting them sit in a small box at room temperature, but I'm really wondering if there's anything else I should be doing to help maintain the viability of the eggs.

Thanks!

Optimal storage conditions, I believe, are about 50 degrees F with highish humidity (can't seem to recall the recommended percentage of humidity). If stored for more than a few days, then they should be turned a couple times a day (though turning them from the get-go won't hurt them any either). A basement or cellar (if you're lucky enough to have one) can make an ideal location for storing hatching eggs.

Cooler storage temps and rotating a couple of times a day will help a lot. I keep mine in egg cartons with a thick book under one end and just switch ends a couple times a day, oh ya and make sure the pointy end is down.

Back
Top Bottom