Does incubation temperature determine gender of chicks?

I read a study that suggested that the higher the temperature, the more males would hatch. The lower temps, more females would hatch. It had to do with mortality rates not the eggs changing genders. If an egg is born a female, it stays a female. If an egg is born male, it stays male. If you have your temp around 105, you will get more males that hatch (and more females that don't), and vice versa.

I read a study that suggested that the higher the temperature, the more males would hatch. The lower temps, more females would hatch. It had to do with mortality rates not the eggs changing genders. If an egg is born a female, it stays a female. If an egg is born male, it stays male. If you have your temp around 105, you will get more males that hatch (and more females that don't), and vice versa.

This.
The genetics remains 50/50 but after fertilization, it could be that males die off at lower temps and females at higher temps. That's not temp determining the sex; it's just temp determining survival.

I know this thread is old, but...
It does seem environmental factors do play a role in gender determination of unhatched chicks. The hen may choose gender, but gender may not be finalized until the right conditions happen.

When I hatch chicks, this is the years before last year, while we've been stuck in the La Nina, weather pattern. Those years I'd get either more cockerels, or more pullets.

Last year we finally got an El Nino. I ended up hatching about equal genders, which never happens here.

Planning on maybe doing an experiment thread relating to the subject.

An interesting video, on the birds, are reptiles subject.

Last edited:
Also I've done the refrigerator eggs method for females, it did work. This girl is technically Male despite that. Those females produced by chilled eggs when bred will only produce males.
20210323_155012.jpg
Her 4 sons.
20210618_143426.jpg
20210618_143526.jpg
20210618_143538.jpg

No. It happens with snakes, amphibians (eg turtles) and some frogs/toads that sex is determined by temperature, but not chickens. Mammal DNA is sexed at conception/fertilisation, I don't know of a single mammal that isn't.
Birds aren't mammals

Back
Top Bottom