Bochama

Chirping
Nov 29, 2021
Hello everyone. I have 3 beautiful ducks who I got when they were around a week old. A pekin,rouen and black swedish. My pekin and black swedish are one or two days older and started to quack but my rouen still hasn't started to quack. She also has one wing drooping down which I think is called angel wing. I give them protein feed along with treats and extra niacin. Any idea what could be the cause of this.

Attachments

• 20211224_001051.jpg
    20211224_001051.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20211217-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20211217-WA0020.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 17
Super cute duckies!!!!

Is it possible your Rouen is a male? Otherwise, it may just be slower to develop it's quack. Ir it has nothing to say yet.

Also, protein can co tribute to angel wing. My internet is terrible, so I have no ability to post links. If you go back to the duck forum, you'll see sticky topics at the very top of the forum list. One of those talks about angel wing causes and treatments.

Super cute duckies!!!!

Is it possible your Rouen is a male? Otherwise, it may just be slower to develop it's quack. Ir it has nothing to say yet.

Also, protein can co tribute to angel wing. My internet is terrible, so I have no ability to post links. If you go back to the duck forum, you'll see sticky topics at the very top of the forum list. One of those talks about angel wing causes and treatments.
Super cute duckies!!!!

Hi Miss Angus.
I will try cutting down on their protein feed. I will incorporate crushed wheat and oats in their diet. Also I think shes a female since her feathers have the female pattern. Thank you for the reply.

A wing sticking out like a hitcher thumb is what angel wing looks like can you get a good picture of this duckling and her wing?
What is the feed your using? name and protein level? and what treats?
Exactly how old now.
Angelwing can also be genetic so not always because of protein. Many of us use All flock feed and the protein is 20% in it. And don't have angel wing.

Do you have a picture of the wing? Sometimes what looks like angel wing to people is just their wing feathers coming in. The ducks have to build up the strength to hold up the feathers. I remember the first time I raised ducklings I thought it was angel wing, but it was just normal development.

Like @Miss Lydia mentioned, the feathers should tilt away from the body if it is angel wing. And there is really no real agreement on what causes it.

And @Aunt Angus is right about the quacking. It could be a drake, late quacker, or just quiet.

Do you have a picture of the wing? Sometimes what looks like angel wing to people is just their wing feathers coming in. The ducks have to build up the strength to hold up the feathers. I remember the first time I raised ducklings I thought it was angel wing, but it was just normal development.

Like @Miss Lydia mentioned, the feathers should tilt away from the body if it is angel wing. And there is really no real agreement on what causes it.

And @Aunt Angus is right about the quacking. It could be a drake, late quacker, or just quiet.
Thanks for your reply. Here are some pics of all my ducks. They're wings seem droopy

Attachments

• IMG-20211226-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20211226-WA0004.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20211226-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20211226-WA0005.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20211226-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20211226-WA0006.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom