Duck with swollen foot

Are you sure there isn't a broken bone? If an infection the Baytril should help. What does the bottom look like any change?
No I’m not sure if there’s a broken bone. I can see how that could be a possibility. Gosh that’s not good. How do I check that? Now I’m worried lol. I didn’t notice anything different on bottom of foot but will take closer look. The baytril takes over a week to get here so that’s why I asked. I’m calling vets to see if there’s something I can get from them as well.

Last edited:
Just looking at the top of her foot looks like there might be a broken bone see the left of the toe where it is jutting out a little. An x-ray would be the only way of knowing for sure. It could just be infection how does that part of the foot feel?

Yes I saw that after you mentioned about it being broken. I called a vet and the receptionist said they could see her but there’s not much they can do about a broken toe. I’m worried that if that’s the case then it’s probably already started healing wrong. Don’t want her in pain and don’t want to lose her. I asked if there’s an antibiotic I could get from them to try but said they would have to see her first.
When you asked how the foot feels what do you mean? Like it’s warm? I checked on that last night and ironically both of her feet felt warm-the same.

I meant where the piece looks off on the top of the foot what does that feel like. I have no idea how people draw circles and such on here so I point it out but middle toe looking at the picture looks like something is jutting out to the left how does that feel? I don't think you'll lose her even if this is broken. I hope I am explaining myself okay.

I meant where the piece looks off on the top of the foot what does that feel like. I have no idea how people draw circles and such on here so I point it out but middle toe looking at the picture looks like something is jutting out to the left how does that feel? I don't think you'll lose her even if this is broken. I hope I am explaining myself okay.
I understand now. I’ll feel for it when I go take wrapping off and let you know.

I understand now. I’ll feel for it when I go take wrapping off and let you know.
Was too dark when got home from work last night to take pic to show her foot.
Here’s what it looks like this morning. I’m leaning toward taking her to vet since I can’t get meds quick enough.first pic is the top of her foot-second is the bottom. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4423.jpeg
    IMG_4423.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4425.jpeg
    IMG_4425.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 2
I have no idea what that might be, best to take her in and let the vet look at it. When my Runner got this marble size knot under her foot and it showed on top too I had no idea what it was no bumble in my chickens had ever looked like it so I took her to the vet all she did was confirm it was bumble and gave an antibiotic and meloxicam for inflammation and pain I still had to open it on day 7 after she had started her antibiotic but It was not a bumble I had ever seen so getting the vet to figure out what it is is best. Something is wrong with her to have that swelling and that place on the top jutting out like it is.

I have no idea what that might be, best to take her in and let the vet look at it. When my Runner got this marble size knot under her foot and it showed on top too I had no idea what it was no bumble in my chickens had ever looked like it so I took her to the vet all she did was confirm it was bumble and gave an antibiotic and meloxicam for inflammation and pain I still had to open it on day 7 after she had started her antibiotic but It was not a bumble I had ever seen so getting the vet to figure out what it is is best. Something is wrong with her to have that swelling and that place on the top jutting out like it is.
Thank you for sharing that. Yes I know it’s really concerning! I’ve been on phone all morning calling around and I’m taking her to a local vet tomorrow morning who is willing to take a look at her foot. I explained everything to receptionist so vet will know what’s what beforehand. A vet about an hour away sees birds but it was $114 just for office visit and I had to pay a small deposit making the appt. I couldn’t do that. I’m not rich and I work in afternoons. So hopefully I’ll get somewhere with this one here. At least get some antibiotics! My poor duck lol. So you don’t think it’s bumble? I’m not real familiar with Bumblefoot so I wouldn’t know how to determine that. When I took my young geese to a ‘bird’ vet they said she had bumble and I didn’t agree. I shared with everyone on here and they didn’t think so either! That visit cost me around $300. On top of all this this morning I had to get a rat snake out of coop that got an egg. Darn thing was right next to my brooding goose on her nest. Poor mama. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I find out. 🤞

Did you ever figure out what it was on your runner?

Back
Top Bottom