Ducklings on the way. Could use some advice

qwackers9

Songster
May 18, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I have a broody Pekin laying on approximately 9 eggs. She removed & destroyed 2 but they may have been unfertilized. To set the scene: Mama chose to nest in the lower level of chicken coop that has its own gate, which is inside the main pen for 4 other ducks + 6 chickens, so they are safe in that way. MotherGoose (her name) is completely blind in one eye & seems to have limited vision in the other. She tends to scare easily. Tho she is totally protective of her eggs. My main questions are....will I need to supply the first ducklings with any heat while others are still hatching? & How much space do they need? There's about 5 sq.ft. of coop floor when you subtract the nest, food, water. I'm worried about her stepping on the babies. I can relocate once they hatch, which I know I will do after they grow a little, but at first, the coop would stay warmer since it's small. I have some heat packs like the kind used for shipping. I thought about putting out one or two of them when it comes close to due date. She's been on eggs constantly since the 10th (exception few minutes/day) so the 8th would be 28 days. She was laying on the first 3-4 eggs a little for about 4 days before the 10th, but not a whole lot. So I'll be on watch by the 4th. Any advice is appreciated!

She will keep the ducklings warm. They will stay under her for a few days before start to emerge for food. I wouldn't add extra heat as it could make the duck hen uncomfortable.

Once they are done hatching, or 2-3 days after the first has hatched she will probably move off the nest. You can relocate her at that time. I find it's best to confine them for the first month otherwise the mom sometimes tries to wander too far with them, and doesn't always bring them back to the feed.

Great info.
I have a small concrete structure about 6x6 ft. It would give them much more space & the chickens could have their coop back. Plus it's safe for a heat lamp if needed. We are supposed to be having temps back down in the 40s at night but if mom does her thing, I shouldn't need it. I had read somewhere in the vast internet that sometimes mama won't let chicks that leave nest back around if she's still hatching so that's why I concerned about heat. This is her first time...I just hope she has some success after she's been so patient just sitting there week after week. Thanx for advice!

Back
Top Bottom