Ducks with Food poisoning

Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
To Start out the ducks have mostly recovered and are now doing ok.

I went to check on my Flock on Tuesday and I found my 1 duck dead 2 having seizures and the rest shaking and acting very strange. No injuries, no holes in the enclosure, they had plenty of fresh water, and it was not a hot day and they are in the shade. I do NOT put out roadent poison, and the birds were in their cage for 3 days before. I was not able to let them out so they did not eat something weird that could have caused this. The only thing that had changed was that I opened a new bag of food the day before with a new lot number.

I took the duck with the most severe seizures to the vet. By the time I took her to the vet, she and the other duck had stopped having seizures, we’re still refusing to drink and were shaking. By this point, I was suspecting food poisoning. And the vet confirmed my suspicions and said it was.

I called the Feed company and they took down the information and said they would give me a call back. I called back three days later. I still had not received a call and they said they would call me back again. It has now been a week and I am starting to get frustrated. Is there anyway I can escalate this or get the Feed tested privately to confirm and possibly get compensation? I feel like they are putting it off and hopeing I forget about it. Is there a number higher than the the useless customer service to call.

The Feed is Purina layer pellets with the date/lot number 24066HAR20

Last edited:
What test did the Vet run to confirm? What was the cause of food borne? Yes, you can have private testing.
The vet based it on the fact that all the birds got sick at once, and that it was the only thing that they had access to to eat. The vet thought that it was food born, but I need the feed tested to confirm. But how to get the feed tested is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom