Electrical fence - What non flying predators will it deter?

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I am extending my run & coop to include a pole shed to host cages including a bachelor grow out pen. I am thinking about providing access to an area that is only protected by electrical netting? Mostly concerned about foot based predators...

How effective is electrical netting?

Thank you.

I haven't used netting, but in Alaska I always used at least 2 rows of hot wire for garden, chickens and horses. It kept absolutely everything that I was worried about out: Moose, Bear, Coyote, Wolf. I never had raccoon issues even though you'd think a determined racoon would find a way. I would always use hot wire in a densely animal populated place.

It will keep out opossums, raccoons, dogs, cats, skunks. A coyote will just jump over it. It will not keep out weasels because of their small size.

You need to make sure the bottom of the fence is secure to the ground. Some critters will get a nose under that bottom wire, which is not hot, and creep under it. After their head gets in, they are protected by a nice layer of fur.

i a standard fence one for coyotes and coons around my coop. so far so good with them it will not stop weasels, minks, rabbits or squirrels.

i use two for my bees up north, (one around bees and the other around it and the garden near by) so far stops bears pretty good, how ever elk and deer jump over.

Back
Top Bottom