Emergency or no? / how do I help her?

jordan_lang

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Hi all. I have a young prairie bluebell hen that either still isn’t laying yet (all my other PB hens her age have been laying since October-ish) or she just started within the past couple weeks. My camera never seems to catch her so i’m unsure if she’s laying or just hanging out in the boxes.

I walked in the other day and there was quite a lot of blood splattered around inside the nesting box and dripped on the board below where she was standing after. There was an egg in the box and it was covered in blood but I don’t think it was hers. I’m not positive though. Her and another hen were swapping in and out of the same box but of course my camera missed the actual egg and the blood.

My thought is that she was attempting to lay an egg and for whatever reason, splattered out a lot of blood. I will attach pics of the nesting box. Today she is really lethargic. She got out to free range and was walking around some but mostly standing still with her head kind of tucked in. Does anyone have a clue what this could be? Is it an emergency? How do I fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_5456.jpeg
    IMG_5456.jpeg
    694 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    695.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom