Eva’s Friends

It's been a long week since I last posted. Now I can't remember everything I wanted to say.

Chickies went into Apartment No. 1 of the Muddy Run last Monday. After a few days of putting them up to bed in the nest box at night, they are perching! They are the smartest birds I've had!

Of course, putting them in there required moving the Biddies out. They now reside in No. 2, and the Big Hens with Winston live in No. 3. The turkeys get to perch in the hallway on a nice flat board.

We saw a fox this morning about a quarter mile away. Unsupervised free ranging is no longer authorized...

Spring semester is out next week, so I haven't had time to take many pictures. I have to write two news articles, create a youtube video, and come up with a report on a topic that I don't have firsthand experience with - all of which is due this Friday!

Hope and Charity getting big! They're seven weeks this Wednesday.
IMG_7732.jpeg

Hens in the converted turkey run - Apt. No. 3
IMG_7745.jpeg

Turkeys' new roost in the hallway above the goose pen
IMG_7727.jpeg

Closeup of the nesting box in No. 3
IMG_7681.jpeg

It's been a long week since I last posted. Now I can't remember everything I wanted to say.

Chickies went into Apartment No. 1 of the Muddy Run last Monday. After a few days of putting them up to bed in the nest box at night, they are perching! They are the smartest birds I've had!

Of course, putting them in there required moving the Biddies out. They now reside in No. 2, and the Big Hens with Winston live in No. 3. The turkeys get to perch in the hallway on a nice flat board.

We saw a fox this morning about a quarter mile away. Unsupervised free ranging is no longer authorized...

Spring semester is out next week, so I haven't had time to take many pictures. I have to write two news articles, create a youtube video, and come up with a report on a topic that I don't have firsthand experience with - all of which is due this Friday!

View attachment 3815838

View attachment 3815839

View attachment 3815840

View attachment 3815842
Wow! I didn't realize you had that many animals!!

View attachment 3815838

View attachment 3815839

View attachment 3815840

View attachment 3815842

Sounds like spring break is going to be busy for you...thanks for sharing new pictures!

Good evening y'all...
I'm trying to return to my biweekly schedule, hence the back to back posts :).

I forgot to say that in my previous post that a fifty lb. bag of food lasts ten days when you're feeding twelve chickens, three ducks, four geese, and two turkeys.

There isn't a lot to report in two days. I have upgraded the security to the Sentinel Coop. It had me worried because the hardware fabric was just stapled to the wood with cheap staples. So I used washers and screws to affix the fabric better.
IMG_7692.jpeg

I also have put down sand in the coop, because I was tired of wasting pine shavings when they're just pooping on them, so we'll see how that goes.
IMG_7685.jpeg

I remember a thread where someone wanted to put an addition to the Sentinel coop, so here's how I did mine. Maybe I should make a coop article instead of posting it here, but for now...

The area of the run inside the S coop is roughly 18 sq. ft. (6 x 3). I knew I wanted to have three birds in the coop (a rooster and two hens) so I built a 6 x 4 run on the back for a total of 42 sq. ft.

I started by laying down four 2 x 4's to form a frame.
IMG_5255.png

Then added two corner posts...
IMG_5253.png

...followed by two slanted posts. These hold up the top part of the frame.
IMG_7689.jpeg
IMG_7690.jpeg
After that I stapled the hardware fabric onto the sides with Helen's supervision.
IMG_5265.jpeg

A OSB board laying around was screwed on for the roof.
IMG_7691.jpeg

The hardware fabric was ziptied with the strongest ties I could find to the metal frame.
IMG_7694.jpeg

Folding it over the door was the hardest part, as I was trying to hold it down and ziptie it at the same time (I was alone).
IMG_7695.jpeg

The last step was to fill in the gaps between the frame and the hardware fabric. This is another area that could use some extra security, but I'm not sure how to go about it (actually, writing this just gave me an idea :yesss: ). I do not have a picture of this.

So that's how I built a run on the Sentinel coop. Looking back, I'm not sure how I managed to fit four big hens in that original space before we built the Muddy Run. They literally spent all winter in there (sometimes upstairs all day!) but amazingly, there was no feather pecking and we still collected an occasional egg.

If you've made it this far, here are a few extra pictures :):

Dolores
IMG_7678.jpeg

Lily apparently followed me into the basement when I wasn't looking and got left in there. She was mad!
IMG_7734.jpeg

Dishwashing Day!
IMG_7853.jpeg

Eva on mouse patrol
IMG_7831.jpeg

Eva and her little friend, Sophie, a rescued box turtle :love
IMG_7894.jpeg

I ALWAYS enjoy the posts about your wonderful menagerie!

As a retired newspaper editor, I'm curious about the news articles you're writing -- tell me more, please, when you get a chance. Sounds like you have your hands full right now.

Good evening, y'all! Not much going on here, but the Muddy Run is living up to its name again. The roof is leaking, bad. The runs are all mud, the bedding is soaked, at least a pound of food has been wasted. :rant:barnie

Helen hurt her feet trying to get out of a pen (not the one in the picture). She literally scrapped the skin off several toes, poor turkey! I felt so bad for her! I put VetRX on them and wrapped them in gauze.
IMG_7918.jpeg

The neighbor down the street lets their Muscovy ducks run free on Sundays. This morning they decided to block the road as I was late to church. I had to get out and shoo them into their yard. I'm surprised they haven't got hit yet!
IMG_7938.jpeg

That's all, and no pictures either. So here's a couple random ones. Hope you enjoy them!

The dogs don't even know where their own food is, but Brianna went right to it!
IMG_7935.jpeg

Niagara Falls from the American side
IMG_1999.jpeg

Abraham Lincoln's tomb in Springfield, Illinois
IMG_0973.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom