Feather casings

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
Hi just curious. I have read a lot of articles on molting but have not read anything about the casings. Not sure if that is the right thing to call them. They are always all over the coop during a molt. At first I thought it was something else but always ends after the molt. Always under where they roost

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 5
How long has it been since you first noticed they were molting?
It’s every year just curious if anyone else ever saw it. They aren’t molting now. It was a picture. I took in the fall and came across it. I had forgot to post it when they were actually malting.

Hi just curious. I have read a lot of articles on molting but have not read anything about the casings. Not sure if that is the right thing to call them. They are always all over the coop during a molt. At first I thought it was something else but always ends after the molt. Always under where they roost

It’s every year just curious if anyone else ever saw it. They aren’t molting now. It was a picture. I took in the fall and came across it. I had forgot to post it when they were actually malting.
It's normal to see keratin sheaths under the roosting area when the birds are in molt.

Back
Top Bottom