Hi everyone.
I missed a day and a half and get behind 12 pages.

First off, @featherhead007 I am so very sorry about Hen-Rietta's passing. She had a wonderful long life with you. Also congratulations, you wanted Buff Orps, from you recent pictures you have at least 2 orps.

@Ponypoor congrats on POW with Miss Betty.

I am exhausted. Had to be in Lexington this afternoon for Rosie's eye dr appointment. Afterwards I had to make good on my promise to hit the mall for her birthday. I think that girl could live in Old Navy and Bath and Bodyworks. Dad had 1 job while we were gone. 1 job, gather the eggs. Did he do that? Nope, 14 eggs in 2 different spots in the hay. I left home with no broody hen, I came back to Karen plopped on the nest with 8 screaming like a banshee.

Sadly I am 99% certain Momma Hen is gone now. Dad did go trail riding today and up by the cemetery behind our house He came across a huge pile of feathers. No body, but a lot of feathers. From the pictures he showed me they look very much like Momma Hens. That or hawk. If it was Momma Hens feathers, I can not blame her passing on a predator. Being at least 12 1/2, and the mobility issues she had been having I think she passed naturally. She was showing signs her time was close at hand. She gave me grief, she flogged me more times then I care to count and I called her everything under the sun. I will miss that Ole Bat. There will never be another one like her.
Oh, I am sorry to hear this. She was a feisty girl and if she did pass I can imagine she would have chosen to do it her way much the same as she raised her chicks. She had a long and happy life. :hugs

I did beak count and ….
There were three in the bed and the little one said: roll over. Roll over!

I am trying to follow @BY Bob’s advice and give them 21 days before deploying the broody jail in the hope that they will stay not-broody for the full 6 weeks I am away.
But three at once is really pushing it!
IMG_6552.jpeg
IMG_6553.jpeg

I did beak count and ….
There were three in the bed and the little one said: roll over. Roll over!

I am trying to follow @BY Bob’s advice and give them 21 days before deploying the broody jail in the hope that they will stay not-broody for the full 6 weeks I am away.
But three at once is really pushing it!
View attachment 3833210View attachment 3833211
Meanwhile mine are screaming if 1 is in the desired nesting site and no one seems to be going broody!

Meanwhile mine are screaming if 1 is in the desired nesting site and no one seems to be going broody!
I think I have lost my mind. At the same time as wanting them to stop being broody I am working on a home improvement project to give them a bit more space and ventilation in the nest box.
They have me where they want me for sure!
:th

Back
Top Bottom