Food grade barrels for water storage...will they grow algae?

Hey all,

I am planning to collect rainwater into a food grade plastic barrel. Will sunlight penetrate the plastic and grow algae?
The thing is that there are drums that are UV resistant and ones that are not. The blue ones are also the same, some are some are not. You have to find sellers that specifically say or advertise that they are. Note about the blue drums. They usually com with white bungs and unless you buy the new from the manufacture you need to keep an eye out for algae.

If you can not find some or you already have the drums, You can alway try covering them with material or making a shed for your system.

55 Gallon Drum Cover, 210D Oxford Cloth Water Storage Barrel Cover, 25 x 37 Inch Outdoor Waterproof Rain Snow Bucket Cover with Drawstring, UV Protection, Anti Dust (2 Pcs) $19.99

55 Gallon Drum Cover, 210D Oxford Cloth Water Storage Barrel Cover, 25 x 37 Inch Outdoor Waterproof Rain Snow Bucket Cover with Drawstring, UV Protection, Anti Dust (4 pcs) $34.99

TentandTable Moose Supply 55 Gallon Drum Cover | Fits Most Water Barrel Cylinder Drums | 24" Inch Diameter x 3' Feet High x 78" Inch Circumference | White | 14 Ounce Vinyl $42.49

If you use Totes use something like this. IBC Tote Cover, 275 Gallon Water Tank Protective Cover 1000 L for Garden Rain Water Tank, 420D Sunshade for Protect Water Tank from Harmful UV Rays (Black) You might be able to get two drums under it. At that price it might be worth the try.

You can also paint them with a thick paint. Get some scotch brite scrubbing pads and some distilled white vinegar. Mix equal parts warm water and vinegar. Scrub the drum thoroughly. This will break down the "waxy" coating the drums have. If you do not take this off, the paint will not stick very well. Some people also get some fine sandpaper and sand it down after scrubbing with vinegar. Try to get paint that is made for plastics if you can.

Add braggs apple cider vinegar to keep it algae free. I think the min was 2 oz per gallon every week or so.

This is my setup. Rainwater would get pumped from the Chicken Tractor roof collection (just behind the 55 gallon drum). Never had any issues with algae just with adding vinegar. After my flock was killed, by some vagrants, it sat for a while and it did get some algae build up, of course I had not been adding any vinegar. Once I got my sheep, I put it back to use. Cleaned out the tank and started adding vinegar again. So I know it works.

20170820_153306.jpg

As far as rainwater not being drinkable, well yes it is. For humans, as long as it has not touched the ground, or a surface that is prone to keeping dirt, poop and other junk (shingle roofs), then yes it can be drank without filtration and sterilization/purification.

Now birds and animals don't have tap water at their disposal. So they do drink rainwater that has sat on the ground all the time. So as long as you keep your collection surface clean and monitor the system, you really don't have much to worry about.

If your collection is for human consumption the you need to filter and purify it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom