Force them to eat dumped food?

cheldi

Chirping
Mar 24, 2024
Pennsylvania, USA
Our chicks are 2 weeks old. We have a chick feeder that they are constantly wasting a large portion of the food by dumping it on the ground. If I let the feeder go empty - will all of them find food from the pine bedding? Or is that too mean?

Look at a different style of feeder.

How are they dumping it? If they are tipping it over by standing on the rim, get something heavier that they can't tip. Or get a feeder that hangs.

They are like babies/toddlers, figuring out their world.
It's the kind pictured. It is raised but I think we may need to dump our bedding and restart, as it's getting pretty deep now from sprinkling over new poops. Far as I can tell they're just super messy. They're not tipping the feeder over but just pulling tons out and dropping as much as they're eating 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501-080920.png
    Screenshot_20240501-080920.png
    685.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Are you feeding them a chick starter feed? If they're picking out certain parts, is it because the feed is individual grains, and they're finding their favorite ones?

A chick starter crumble is homogenous, so they wouldn't be able to do that.

Chickens spilling feed is part of raising chickens lol. They definitely spill more than they eat here. Scratching to find food is part of chicken psychology, so unfortunately they feel the need to scratch in the food before they eat. Keep that feeder full- for some reason mine prefer to eat from the feeder rather than the floor. They’ll get skinny if you don’t top it up.

Back
Top Bottom