Fox got my duck

CeeEyeGee

Chirping
Jun 28, 2021
I’m so upset.😢 A fox got one of my ducks. We live on the Potomac and he ALMOST made it into the river. There’s a den of a mated pair and 3 Kits in the neighbor’s yard. I have been diligent when my ducks are out and about but clearly not diligent enough. I take these creatures lives into my hands and let them down. I want them to live like ducks, not caged up. I have to come up with a strategy. I’ll try to sleep on it. Advice welcome.

I don't mean to sound cold, but unfortunately, free-ranging comes with losses. I know that doesn't make it any easier t accept, but there it is. Short of locking them up, at least at night, theres not a whole lot you can do, but there are some ways to help them. Make sure they have places to hide, bushes and other obstacles. If they can fly at least a little, put some electric fencing up in an open topped pen.
My cousins lived on the Severn for years, and they kept a fenced in area for their ducks. It was just large enough to allow the birds space to take off without hitting the electric fence and had a small picnic table and a doghouse for safety from the local hawks. We called it the Zap House ... and you did NOT want to hit it when you were coming back wet from a canoe ride!

I don't mean to sound cold, but unfortunately, free-ranging comes with losses. I know that doesn't make it any easier t accept, but there it is. Short of locking them up, at least at night, theres not a whole lot you can do, but there are some ways to help them. Make sure they have places to hide, bushes and other obstacles. If they can fly at least a little, put some electric fencing up in an open topped pen.
My cousins lived on the Severn for years, and they kept a fenced in area for their ducks. It was just large enough to allow the birds space to take off without hitting the electric fence and had a small picnic table and a doghouse for safety from the local hawks. We called it the Zap House ... and you did NOT want to hit it when you were coming back wet from a canoe ride!
I agree

I free range my flock of chickens. We have pratically every type of predator there is....except bears and maybe some other ones not able to adapt to our environment, but we have snakes, bobcats, hawks, vultures, racoons, mountain lions, squirrels, etc. Luckily, I stay at home and watch them 24/7. I have seen many, MANY vultures trying to attack (roosted above the chicken coop, on an electric pole) and a few bobcats. We only ever lost one leghorn, BUT free ranging always has risks. We tecnically free range, although they are still penned in. The penned in area is just really large. I try to keep them roaming in an area with trees. We also have a rooster for protection, but honestly roosters are not ENOUGH for several predators, maybe a snake, but nothing much. A LGD is the best bet.

They rest easy at night - they have a large hardware wire fully enclosed pen that is shut inside the boathouse at night. Damn fox got after them in that short window between getting out of the water and going down the pier when I shut them in. I think I’m going to have to get a second pen for them to be in on the grass when they aren’t in the water.

Foxes can be out hunting during the day, too, when they have kits, and they have to teach the kits to hunt. Unless you want to lock your ducks up all the time, they are going to have to learn to be more on guard on land at all times. Sadly, sometimes the predator scene can change in a way that domestic ducks can no longer live where they once lived, unless they get really smart. Even then, they may not be able to outsmart a fox. Foxes are faster and more cunning than raccoons. Everyone has to eat. If your property is fenced, maybe get a large dog that doesn't chase ducks?

I free range my flock of chickens. We have pratically every type of predator there is....except bears and maybe some other ones not able to adapt to our environment, but we have snakes, bobcats, hawks, vultures, racoons, mountain lions, squirrels, etc. Luckily, I stay at home and watch them 24/7. I have seen many, MANY vultures trying to attack (roosted above the chicken coop, on an electric pole) and a few bobcats. We only ever lost one leghorn, BUT free ranging always has risks. We tecnically free range, although they are still penned in. The penned in area is just really large. I try to keep them roaming in an area with trees. We also have a rooster for protection, but honestly roosters are not ENOUGH for several predators, maybe a snake, but nothing much. A LGD is the best bet.
That’s quite the challenge you have and koodos on the success of your watchfulness. Living on the river and having free ranging ducks seemed like such a natural combination. Perhaps my biggest mistake was the choice of non-flying Pekins. But then I thought the duck hunters would obviously recognize them as not wild and not shoot them.

Foxes can be out hunting during the day, too, when they have kits, and they have to teach the kits to hunt. Unless you want to lock your ducks up all the time, they are going to have to learn to be more on guard on land at all times. Sadly, sometimes the predator scene can change in a way that domestic ducks can no longer live where they once lived, unless they get really smart. Even then, they may not be able to outsmart a fox. Foxes are faster and more cunning than raccoons. Everyone has to eat. If your property is fenced, maybe get a large dog that doesn't chase ducks?
I’m sure that’s the case here with this fox. The adult pair has been stalking them so I have kept a watchful eye. Not watchful enough.
I am so sorry this has happened
thank you.

So sorry for your loss. I agree. Now that the fox has scored it will lurk looking for another opportunity when you least expect it, especially since it has kits to feed They are sneaky. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom