Goose attacked by dog

I would expect her to be more quiet for a week or two before going back to how she was. She may always remain more wary. There can be mental trauma sometimes too, but generally they spring back fairly quickly.

Glad she seems to be feeling better today. That first 24 hours after an attack is generally the most stressful.
I agree. It’s a yucky feeling as her owner that this happened to her but thankfully my son got her away. Hopefully she will bounce back. I thank the good Lord that it wasn’t any worse. If it had been one of my ducks, this would’ve had a different ending I think. She’s one tough goose.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!
Wanted to give an update on Thorne, our goose caught by a dog who I’ve been posting about yesterday. She seems slightly better but still very wary. I checked over her body again last night and didn’t see anything more concerning. She’s not eating like she usually does but is foraging a little and seems to be drinking. Still doesn’t make the noise she usually does and not honking and being the aggressive goose she has been but I’m giving her time. Just feel awful for her but sadly bad things happen even when we do our hardest to prevent it. At least she’s still alive and hopefully on the mend. Thank you for checking!
I know how you feel but it really isn’t your fault. There’s nothing you could have done.
My own expierience with a dog attacking my geese was my parent’s old lab, he didn’t have a high prey drive but he had a massive jealousy issue. He had no problems with any of my ducks and geese, none at all except for the two ganders I hand raised myself and he had a problem with them because they hung around me outside more than the other birds. I did my best to keep them separated but my parents at the time didn’t think Hunter had a problem and would let him out without warning me.
There was a day I was out with the boys “Parsnip and Thor,” I didn’t kniw Hunter was out and I took my eyes off them for maybe three whole seconds and Hunter took that opportunity to bolt across the lawn and grab Thor by the face. He shook him before I managed to seperate them and Thor suffered a stroke as a result. He was off for days and he wasn’t able to open and close one of his eyes very well for a few weeks but he managed to survive that. A year later the exact same thing happened but instead Hunter grabbed Parsnip. I was closer so I got him away from the dog before Hunter could do more damage, Parsnip didn’t suffer any brain trauma like Thor but he did have some punctures on the face, he was shook up for a day or two.
Point is you can’t anticipate every little thing, we try our best but shit still happens. You’re a good goose owner for trying and worrying about your goosie.

Wow-goodness gracious. And they are both good now? That’s amazing. It’s strange that you mentioned about about their eyes. My son had later on told me what exactly happened in that Thorne was shook badly before my son could get her away from his dog. Along with his unusual calm and wary behavior, it was her face and eyes that really drew me. It was like looking at a different goose and I kept checking her eyes to make sure they weren’t punctured or whatnot in the attack. They were almost dull like instead of the brighter blue they usual are so I can imagine she was really rattled from the shaking and that maybe messed up her equilibrium some. I was worried about internal injuries as well but she doesn’t appear to be in pain just really quiet and moving slow. Thanks for sharing your story

Wow-goodness gracious. And they are both good now? That’s amazing. It’s strange that you mentioned about about their eyes. My son had later on told me what exactly happened in that Thorne was shook badly before my son could get her away from his dog. Along with his unusual calm and wary behavior, it was her face and eyes that really drew me. It was like looking at a different goose and I kept checking her eyes to make sure they weren’t punctured or whatnot in the attack. They were almost dull like instead of the brighter blue they usual are so I can imagine she was really rattled from the shaking and that maybe messed up her equilibrium some. I was worried about internal injuries as well but she doesn’t appear to be in pain just really quiet and moving slow. Thanks for sharing your story
Well Thor came down with asper a few months after that, he battled it for a long time but eventually succumbed to heart failure, itraconazole, the med he was on, unfortunatly is cardiotoxic. Parsnip developed pancreatitis after Thor passed away but Parsnip is still with me.

Your goose could have some neurological trauma, it could also be that she’s very sore, I wouldn’t doubt that at the very least she has some sort of whiplash. She could also be a whittle swollen.

How is she doing today?

Well Thor came down with asper a few months after that, he battled it for a long time but eventually succumbed to heart failure, itraconazole, the med he was on, unfortunatly is cardiotoxic. Parsnip developed pancreatitis after Thor passed away but Parsnip is still with me.

Your goose could have some neurological trauma, it could also be that she’s very sore, I wouldn’t doubt that at the very least she has some sort of whiplash. She could also be a whittle swollen.

How is she doing today?
I’m so so sorry to hear that about Thor. I wish good health for Parsnip and glad to see she’s still with you. Sounds like you have gone above and beyond for your geese! You’re certainly an expert in my book and an awesome goose mom.
As for Thorne-she’s doing so so ok. I’ve been watching her behavior and mannerisms and she’s about the same but foraging more and drinking. Still stays close to the ducks. She’s a tad more alert but still very wary. She still hasn’t made her usual honking noises which to me says something but don’t know what. Maybe the neurological factor you have mentioned. I agree she’s possibly still sore and I see her moving her wings so I’m taking that as a good sign. I still am concerned that a neurological issue may be involved. If I should be doing something more, you or anyone please don’t hesitate to say.

I’m so so sorry to hear that about Thor. I wish good health for Parsnip and glad to see she’s still with you. Sounds like you have gone above and beyond for your geese! You’re certainly an expert in my book and an awesome goose mom.
As for Thorne-she’s doing so so ok. I’ve been watching her behavior and mannerisms and she’s about the same but foraging more and drinking. Still stays close to the ducks. She’s a tad more alert but still very wary. She still hasn’t made her usual honking noises which to me says something but don’t know what. Maybe the neurological factor you have mentioned. I agree she’s possibly still sore and I see her moving her wings so I’m taking that as a good sign. I still am concerned that a neurological issue may be involved. If I should be doing something more, you or anyone please don’t hesitate to say.
Well truthfully I’m not an expert, I’m still learning, you’ll know as much as I do in no time. I’m glad Thorne is improving! Hopefully she’s back to normal in a few days!

Back
Top Bottom