Hatchery vs. Local Feed Store

prose15

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Tennessee
I have an order placed to Meyer Hatchery that is set to arrive the first week of June. The hatchery is about 530 mile north of where I live. However, there is a feed store near my house (Orschelns Farm and Home). I don't remember what breeds they have carried in the past. Should I cancel my hatchery order and buy from the feedstore, or stick with the hatchery? The Orschelns is in Murrya, KY if that helps. Any idea what breeds they might carry?

No idea
idunno.gif

I just bought mine at Bomgaars, but I'm sure they came from a hatchery. We have an Orscheln close ny too. I just like buying local.

You should call your Orscheln store and ask. They will know what they are getting for baby chicks.

Good idea ^ I will call tomorrow
D.gif
also, would it be ok to have baby chicks even if I'm at school 8 hours a day 5 days a week?

This is my first time raising chicks. But I would suggest to get your chicks on a Friday night and be home with them for the weekend so you can monitor the heat.

I've had to raise my lamp twice today to keep the temp steady. They are all happy campers though. I already see their little personalities coming out.

Good Luck to you.. I'm already in chicken heaven.

Find a local hatchery if the feed stir does not have the chicks you want! Yes I am at school too and I have chicks all the time they will be fine feed and water tell someone to check a time or two a day! Water dish should be very shallow and put marbles in there so they drink but don't fall in or get a chick waterer. DO NOT put wood shavings in with them they will eat them and die! Keep the heat lamp on one side of the container so they can get but if they want to be cool they go to the other side! And sex them

Back
Top Bottom