HELP - First baby chick hatched - what do I do?

This is a great idea! If I took two chicks from her and returned them a week or 10 days later, she would accept them with no problem?
No guarantees, but if you give them back to her at night and just slip them under her all the chicks should be about the same size and look similar enough she won't have a reason to kick anyone out. If you have a runt or one that's a weird color she might kick it out of the nest but she shouldn't get aggressive with them. Just check in early the next morning and rescue anyone who looks rejected.

I have heat lamps that I used previously when I bought week-old chicks from the local farm store. If the hen stops sitting on the eggs, would placing the remaining eggs a heat lamp and turning them every few hours work?
Does anyone have an opinion on the above question? If momma hen has been sitting on eggs, and there are developing chicks still inside, but unlatched, and momma hen stops sitting, could I place the remaining eggs under a heat lamp, at about 100 degrees? Would this work to save the remaining eggs?

Does anyone have an opinion on the above question? If momma hen has been sitting on eggs, and there are developing chicks still inside, but unlatched, and momma hen stops sitting, could I place the remaining eggs under a heat lamp, at about 100 degrees? Would this work to save the remaining eggs
Putting the unhatched eggs under a heat lamp with no humidity source likely wont work, unless the chicks are Very close to hatching. Even then may not work without an artificial humidity source. Even if a chick has pipped, the membrane can dry out before the chick unzips, if humidity is too low.

If the chicks are within 3 days of hatching, you dont want to turn the eggs at all. An artificial incubator is programmed to quit turning the eggs on day 18. That simulates a broody hen, which does the same. By day 18, the chick has likely rotated into hatching position. If the egg is then turned, the chick has to rotate within the egg again. Doing so uses valuable energy the chick needs to hatch Most chicks manage the situation just fine. But turning eggs Could be a death sentence for weaker chicks.

I have seen threads on this forum where people have made an emergency temporary incubator, for various reasons such as you are facing. I have never made one myself, & dont recall the details. If u do a search on byc, somewhere along the lines of "emergency homemade incubator", those threads should pop up. Then u can decide if you want to try that yourself. Good luck and keep us posted.

Our second chick hatched. This one is from a Buff Opington mother, I believe.

Attachments

• chick052721.jpg
    chick052721.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 8
We now have 5 chicks. Three are dark and 2 are gold mixes. 7 eggs are unhatched. I don't know if they will all hatch, we have 22 hens and only one rooster. I am not certain if he can fertilize all the eggs by himself.

Attachments

• 5chicks.jpg
    5chicks.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 5chicks2.jpg
    5chicks2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom