HELP! - toddler squeezed week old chick

LiaMaus8

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
My almost 3 year old accidentally held the poor little chick too hard. This happened while I was taking care of pasty butts of three other little ones right next to her. As I look over I discovered that the chick was almost limp. I immediately removed the chick out of her hand and checked if the chick was still alive. It took a couple of seconds - maybe up to 30 seconds - of the chick being limp. Then it started to lift back up, chirp and even stand back up. I have been keeping an eye on the little one for the last 12h and it's been very sleepy and just not as active as before. It doesn't seem to have any interest in food or water at the moment. While it can stand and walk it seems pretty shaky and wobbly on it's legs. Will it bounce back? What can I do to help?

I feel so bad about this happening in front of my eyes.

My almost 3 year old accidentally held the poor little chick too hard. This happened while I was taking care of pasty butts of three other little ones right next to her. As I look over I discovered that the chick was almost limp. I immediately removed the chick out of her hand and checked if the chick was still alive. It took a couple of seconds - maybe up to 30 seconds - of the chick being limp. Then it started to lift back up, chirp and even stand back up. I have been keeping an eye on the little one for the last 12h and it's been very sleepy and just not as active as before. It doesn't seem to have any interest in food or water at the moment. While it can stand and walk it seems pretty shaky and wobbly on it's legs. Will it bounce back? What can I do to help?

I feel so bad about this happening in front of my eyes.
Chances are there may be internal injuries. Nothing to be done but wait and see.

Agreed, you can just wait and see. Don't scold the baby, but tearfully explain that they are sooo very delicate and die very quickly if we are not careful. Also let her know that it didn't "fall asleep." Once, when my wife was sick, I came home to find my little boy holding a chick, then laying it out in the row with the other four he had held before. "What are you doing, Son?!" "Shhhhh, Daddy, the babies are asleep." He answers me with a big smile. He fully believed they had fallen asleep and he was taking care of them. I had to gently explain the truth, and whisk him into the house and distract him to keep his heart from breaking. By the way, he had "put to sleep" half the brood with the Mama hen right there doing nothing. I guess she saw no ill intent and neither did I. Hope that helps.

@LiaMaus8 Welcome To BYC

I'm so sorry about your chick :hugs

I agree, this is a wait and see type of thing. It's hard to know if there's internal injuries, there can be, but sometimes chicks still thrive given time, some just don't make it. It stinks.

If she's not interesting in drinking, I'd give her drops of sugar water, electrolytes or if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give 2-3 drops twice a day (in addition to drops of water throughout the day).

If you have a small needless syringe, just draw up a little bit of your water/electrolytes, place the syringe on side of the beak and let one drop out, it will sort of roll/follow the crease of the beak and usually the chick will take in the drop.
If no syringes, dip a Qtip in your water, press it to the side of the press gently to the side of the beak to release a drop and let the chick take it in.
It's a slow and tedious process. A chick that is lethargic and not drinking will usually only take in about 3-4 drops before it stops. So, you quit and try again a little later, repeat, repeat.

Accidents happen, oh my and you feel so bad. I'm in the Geezer years and not a kid that's for sure. I've have dropped a chick - didn't make it. Closed the door on a hen's neck, she turned out o.k., stepped on few chickens' toes here and there, they all lived. I won't tell you about suicide prone Quail chicks, lost a few of those buggers...
I like the previous post by @skeeeter 👆 Good post.

Here's the thing dear, more accidents will happen at some point, some will turn out o.k. some not. This is called living:hugs

Agreed, you can just wait and see. Don't scold the baby, but tearfully explain that they are sooo very delicate and die very quickly if we are not careful. Also let her know that it didn't "fall asleep." Once, when my wife was sick, I came home to find my little boy holding a chick, then laying it out in the row with the other four he had held before. "What are you doing, Son?!" "Shhhhh, Daddy, the babies are asleep." He answers me with a big smile. He fully believed they had fallen asleep and he was taking care of them. I had to gently explain the truth, and whisk him into the house and distract him to keep his heart from breaking. By the way, he had "put to sleep" half the brood with the Mama hen right there doing nothing. I guess she saw no ill intent and neither did I. Hope that helps.
I'm so sorry for your experience with your kid! My girl felt super bad the moment she realized what had happened.

I am about to go to the brooder and see how the chick is doing. I hope for the best.

@LiaMaus8 Welcome To BYC

I'm so sorry about your chick :hugs

I agree, this is a wait and see type of thing. It's hard to know if there's internal injuries, there can be, but sometimes chicks still thrive given time, some just don't make it. It stinks.

If she's not interesting in drinking, I'd give her drops of sugar water, electrolytes or if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give 2-3 drops twice a day (in addition to drops of water throughout the day).

If you have a small needless syringe, just draw up a little bit of your water/electrolytes, place the syringe on side of the beak and let one drop out, it will sort of roll/follow the crease of the beak and usually the chick will take in the drop.
If no syringes, dip a Qtip in your water, press it to the side of the press gently to the side of the beak to release a drop and let the chick take it in.
It's a slow and tedious process. A chick that is lethargic and not drinking will usually only take in about 3-4 drops before it stops. So, you quit and try again a little later, repeat, repeat.

Accidents happen, oh my and you feel so bad. I'm in the Geezer years and not a kid that's for sure. I've have dropped a chick - didn't make it. Closed the door on a hen's neck, she turned out o.k., stepped on few chickens' toes here and there, they all lived. I won't tell you about suicide prone Quail chicks, lost a few of those buggers...
I like the previous post by @skeeeter 👆 Good post.

Here's the thing dear, more accidents will happen at some point, some will turn out o.k. some not. This is called living:hugs
Thank you!

When I dipped the chicks beak in the water it did take some sips so I'll just continue that to keep it hydrated. I also added some electrolytes specifically for chicks to the water to give it some extra stuff. Should I still do sugar water too to give some extra energy?

Thank you!

When I dipped the chicks beak in the water it did take some sips so I'll just continue that to keep it hydrated. I also added some electrolytes specifically for chicks to the water to give it some extra stuff. Should I still do sugar water too to give some extra energy?
I just went to go check on the chick and while still not quite as quick to run from me like it was before it is back to eating and drinking. It does walk around a lot more straight and secure as well. I think it's on the mend - it looks a lot better.
Thank you for helping!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_122313382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240430_122313382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240430_122313382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240430_122313382.PORTRAIT.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240430_122412646.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20240430_122412646.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 9
So glad the little one is drinking. I once accidentally stepped on a chick and crushed it when trying to gather a hen and her little new chicks. She had hatched them away from her flock in an old barn, and was bringing them back. They were all in a ditch in the open with hawks and other predators around. I was just sick, but got the chicks and hens back to the coop where the 6 others all survived. We all have accidents, but I hope your toddler and your family enjoy your chickens.

So glad the little one is drinking. I once accidentally stepped on a chick and crushed it when trying to gather a hen and her little new chicks. She had hatched them away from her flock in an old barn, and was bringing them back. They were all in a ditch in the open with hawks and other predators around. I was just sick, but got the chicks and hens back to the coop where the 6 others all survived. We all have accidents, but I hope your toddler and your family enjoy your chickens.
Thank you! I'm very glad as well.

I totally understand how sick you felt! We had a rocky few weeks of one chick being deformed at hatch, one dying three days after and now this one injured. I've grown up with chickens + other livestock and we have a total of 40 chickens and a few ducks now but even after all that every loss or injury is hard to take.

Back
Top Bottom